Wi-Fi connected but no Internet Access?

So the last few days, I’m having trouble getting access to the internet on my Linux computer (2012 MacBook Pro now wiped and running Mint Mate). It seems to have started after the Victoria distro update. Or with one of the updates to that distro.

The WiFi connects fine according to the Wi-Fi network connection — but actually connecting to the internet does not work. Not with Brave, or Proton VPN or Driver Update or Software manager…

If I restore via TimeShift to the version I saved on 9/4 then the internet connects fine.

It seems that I only have the internet connection issue when I update to Linux kernel 5.15.0-83.92

I’m brand new to all of this. Am I okay just not updating to that kernel and waiting for the next version to come out and hopefully it works and won’t have the internet connection issues?

Or should I update because there’s a way to fix this issue that I simply haven’t found yet?

I did search this issue and found some resolvconf and sudo etc commands to try, but they didn’t work. I should’ve screenshot the message but it says something like failed to connect to Ubuntu or something or something was empty?

Any insight into this issue is greatly appreciated!

I don’t have any MACs but since I seen you have mentioned Proton I will make a suggestion.

Proton has a minor issue of not deleting the ipv6leak…blahblah connection if the VPN connection is not disconnect via the app or cli asin shutting down with it still connected or even a system crash.

There is also the “kill” switch that prevents internet activity if the VPN connection is dropped.

To check you can run “ip link show” in a terminal, while connected via the ProtonVPN you should see 5 connections listed:
lo local
enp ethernet
wlp wifi
ipv6leak
proton

With a blocked there you may see:
lo
enp
wlp
ipv6leak

To remove you can run sudo ip delete ipv6leakintrf0

Attempt to ping a known site ping -c 3 brave.com

If you connect using the cli version in the terminal just type protonvpn-cli d

Always disconnect the VPN before logout or shutdown.
The cli version is very simply to use and wastes minimal resources compared to the gui version.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

THANK YOU!!! This seems to be my issue because it’s working now!

Trying to get this sent as a reply…)

I never knew I needed to manually disconnect the VPN after use. Is this a Proton VPN glitch? Or is this what happens with every VPN if you don’t logout before shutting down?

If it’s a Proton VPN glitch, is there perhaps a better VPN to use in its place?

One thing I didn’t understand in your comment is this:

“If you connect using the cli version in the terminal just type protonvpn-cli d

Always disconnect the VPN before logout or shutdown.
The cli version is very simply to use and wastes minimal resources compared to the gui version.”

Lol, I am a total beginner and I don’t know which version I use. I just downloaded the Proton VPN app from the Software Manager.

How do I figure out which version I’m using, and if I’m not using the cli version, where would I get it?

Thanks so much for your help—it’s greatly appreciated!

It’s more of a protection thing than a “glitch”, they’re aware and offer pretty much the same solutions. Also you cannot activate or deactivate the cli version via ssh on a local network though you can fix the ipv6leak via ssh with the sudo iplink delete…

Glad it’s working now.

Thanks so much! I’ve made myself a note to make sure that I log out of Proton VPN properly and I haven’t had any issues since!

1 Like