What To Do with Dual Hard Drives on Desktop?

You are welcome. Vasileios’ detailed list of instructions were exactly what you needed to get the job done. You could think of me as the gutter bumpers at the bowling lanes. I just nudged a couple times to help keep from falling off. I am happy you got it done.
Your perseverance is what pulled it out. Good job!

1 Like

I’ve had a lil minute to check it out this morning and everything seems to be intact except for Pictures, which I can copy from my 4T backup and sound doesn’t work. Display is a bit off as well. I tried booting to the live usb to see if I could run a file system check but get these errors in GParted.
GPartedPostRepair

I’m wondering at this point, do I try to fix it after all the time we spent on recovering the system, or do I disconnect my 1T, do a fresh install and run this procedure again only see if I can do it right this time?

In the terminal, what does lsblk show?
and what does mount show?

The “Fix Now” button didn’t do anything. For the "A problem has been detected with your thumbnail cache. Fixing it will require administrative privileges. Buttons are FIX NOW and DISMISS.

One more terminal command, what does
nano /etc/fstab
show us?
You may (or not) need to widen the terminal window a little to see the entire line(s)

I’m not sure what to tell you overall but I’ll throw out a few comments. I think @vasileios will have better comments and more information on what needs fixed.

Issues:

1. I have no idea why gparted is having issues with exfat and I don’t even have an exfat partition to test with.
  2. Display and sound issues make me think that some of the hidden/dot files did not copy (correctly) to your home directory.
  3. It appears from lsblk, mount and fstab that the transition of /home to the new ssd was successful but with a couple snafus.
  4. The thumbnail issue is a mystery to me!
  5. I do not see a need for a ‘clean re-install’ yet.
  6. I’m wondering if there is a file permission problem due to ‘home’ being on an exfat partition?

Hopefully Vasileios will have an easy solution!

What I might do (short version):
Unless you need the exfat partition for a windows or mac computer access I would convert it to ext4 then go back through the commands in post 9

1 Like

Thank’s again Dennis. I’m going to take a minute to digest then most likely try your suggestion. I don’t think I’m going to need a Windows or Mac to connect to my Home folder. Maybe the 4T but it’s just storage right now and it’s EXfat.

Remember, when you reformat the ssd partition to ext4 it will ‘delete’ all the contents. Always keep your external 4T backup copy. Probably keep it disconnected unless you are using it.
And make sure the hidden/dot files copy to the new ssd.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t boot after I formatted that drive. So I decided to do some spark testing…LOL.
I plugged in an external USB 3.0 SSD and installed Mint. After updating I booted into level 3 and started this procedure again. It worked like a charm. Everything is there and everything works. So the next step would be to do the same using the internal ssd I had the system on.

If you are going to re-install to your current ‘old OS’ hard drive then you have a very viable option to use your new ssd as /home while installing. You would need to do custom partitioning during the install process just before the actual installation starts formatting drives and etc. You tell the installer to use whichever drive you want for / and the 1 T ssd as /home then after the install finishes you copy your old home to the new home directory on the new /home ssd.

2 Likes

If you do that be sure to use the same user name at install time.
By doing it this way you will not need to use all the steps in post 9. It will be a simple copy to the new home. Which can be done before the installation while using what you have installed and running right now.
Post back with questions if you want a little help.

1 Like

Thanks again @dennis!
I was in the middle of doing pretty much the same thing with my internal 480G ssd as I did with the external spark tester. It actually went really quick. I’m on it right now. I have the confidence that I could do this again with no problem. What an awesome learning experience. Now, I do want to try the separate home drive on install on another desktop. I also want to learn to have a separate partition for home on install. Just basics I think I should know.
For anyone following this, I had some issues like power outages and fubaring my permissions. If the instructions @vasileios provided are followed to the letter, you will be successful the first try. Read the posts and learn from my mistakes.

1 Like

It would appear that @dennis got on top of this while I was running around. Thank you!
@GrillerMiller Essentially what Dennis informed you was from the series of commands I condensed in that earlier post. In short, yes, to avoid a login loop, the /home folder must have your username folder within it - which is solved with a mount.

2 Likes

Yes, I referenced back to your post #9 a few times. Your methods worked.

2 Likes

I’ve run into a little snafoo. When trying to access the file manager from the desktop, the home folder doesn’t always open. At first a reboot would fix it but now it’s doing it more. And sometimes it will open but only after several minutes. When rebooting there is a message that org.nemo is busy but never seems to close. I have to force quit.

I should know this but,
Can my Mint Home 1T SSD be setup like this on Manjaro? Or does the distro have to be Ubuntu based?

Your nemo problem sounds similar to this.
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=339160

1 Like

It shouldn’t matter, as far as I know because I do not know anything about Manjaro, to the distro if your /home is on a separate partition as long as it is set up correctly.
But, I personally would not use the same /home directory for two or more different distros. I do not know if it could cause problems but I can envision conflicts between distros if you were rebooting from one to the other and using the same /home.
I would rather have a small /home for each user for each distro then set up another partition for data storage. There should be no problem sharing data files but I don’t know about config files being shared by different distros.

1 Like

My fix for Nemo was upgrade to Mint 21. The upgrade tool worked great on 3 different computers running Mint 20.3.

1 Like