What is 'gnome-3-38-2004'?

Hello,
I am new to Linux.
I just installed Linux ‘Ubuntu’. On examining the ‘Ubuntu Software’ I am trying to make sure everything is open source.
What exactly is ‘gnome-3-38-2004’? It says it is proprietary. Is this private company spying on me?

Thanks

The first thing that pops in search is this is a SNAP. IF it is trying to install a snap don’t let it. Those are closed source and we have no idea what they contain.

If you are looking for a program use the Discover Software manager and make sure it is coming from the official repository.

2 Likes

Hey @Fire!
No, Gnome itself is open source and it’s a foundation that is not involved with spying at all. Per its nature, it’s the desktop environment that many distros use. 3.38 is its version and the 2004 is the build number (this number changes per the security and bug patches).

Can you please send a screenshot of the location you saw it?
You can upload it by dragging and dropping the image in your response window.

Thank you!

2 Likes

This came with the the install of Ubuntu (from www.ubuntu.com).
Thanks for the help.

1 Like

@vasileios Sorry I did not direct my reply to your name. Now I have.
I am wondering why ‘gnome’ is proprietary instead of open source.
Thanks

1 Like

Hey @Fire!
Apologies for my delay. I’ve been working on LMS courses and they have been taking their toll on time.

You shouldn’t worry about it. SNAP is indeed a method developed by Canonical, hence they label it as proprietary (yet still free). It presents no threat of spying. All it does is making sure that the apps you have installed via SNAP operate better within the Gnome environment. At any given point, you can remove it alongside the SNAP apps you may have installed (and select FlatPak instead), but it’s no reason for concern. :slight_smile:

1 Like