Web 3 for a new blog/site?

I’m thinking about starting a new blog and since I just learned about Web 3 from JP, I now have many questions and I welcome anyone who has thoughts on this.

1. How necessary is it to get a Web 3 domain name now or should I wait and see?

2. If web 3 domain name is recommended, should I also get a Web 2.0 domain name (.com, .org…) as well? Since I have only hosted on Web 2.0 and don’t know what I might need to do with hosting on Web 3…

3. Is it possible to have a web 3 domain name without owning any crypto?

I am so new to the Web 3 and crypto ideas, any help is appreciated!

2 Likes

I’d start with a normal website on a hosting provider. Web3 is new stuff and there’s more stuff to learn about it. I’m going to be moving a few sites there myself, but I think you need to know how “web 2” works first.

2 Likes

Hey @Ai!
I agree with @taxed. Web 3 is still very new and not yet fully utilized. At some point I will experiment on it and offer my findings, but first, I’ll need to find the time! :laughing:

The way Web 3 is being developed, it will be capable of utilizing current domain name extensions, so you don’t need to worry about that. In the beginning, it was the dedicated extensions, but then the newer ones became available (like .xyz), and lately, even the .com will become compatible with the new protocol.

And yes, you will be able to have a Web 3 domain without owning crypto (those are required to purchase Etherium domains).

2 Likes

Thank you, @taxed and @vasileios, thank you both for answering. I have hosted blogs on Web 2 before, now I just have to watch the video @vasileios made a thousand times and see if I can make a go at hosting my own site. :crossed_fingers: :sweat_smile:

@vasileios, I am thankful for all the work you put into helping everyone. Please take care of yourself because we all need you to “live long and prosper!” :grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you so much, @Ai!
I do try to maintain a healthy schedule, though that’s not always possible. I tend to get diverted at least once a week or so. At least I’m eating healthy. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Excellent. Remember also you can build the website on your machine locally before you’re ready to roll it out live.

Out of curiosity, what framework are you using?

1 Like

Framework? What do you mean?

Many, many years ago, I had built a WP site before it was easy, I did build it on my computer first…

My plan now is to follow the video Vasileios made for the class, install cPanel for the web site and email server on a VPS and use WP for my blog…

2 Likes

You answered it… WP.

1 Like

:ok_hand: Got it! English is something I will always be learning! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

We’re on the same boat, @Ai! Regarding English that is. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No worries… your English is better than 90% of college graduates in the United States.

3 Likes