Want to find a single page scanner for Linux

While my wife can use our Canon Pixma TR8520 printer for printing, switching to Linux has left her without the scanner because apparently there is no support for the scanner feature. So, I’m wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a smaller single-page scanner, preferably the kind that is portable and allows single pages to be fed through, it about the size of a three-hole punch unit and can be easily stashed away in a drawer when not needed. She’d like to be able to name the documents as they’re scanned and choose the folder where they go, so not a scanner that just scans with generic names and drops them in a universal location. Thanks!

I have an old multifunction printer that stopped scanning even when it was on Windows, just no longer supported. Found a little driver program called XSane and it works now.

3 Likes

besides xsane, there is Ubunutus’ “Document Scanner”. it found and used my WiFi only Epson XP 410 all in one without issues.

3 Likes

Thanks, df. We installed that and gave it a try. We got the interface to work, but for some reason it didn’t save. We went with Mr. DeporableUSA’s recommendation which is much easier to use and is perfect for just simple scans without a lot of fuss.

1 Like

Thanks, MrDeplorableUSA. My wife said, “well that one is already here” and bingo it went right to the wireless printer and did it quickly. Nice to see there’s something already installed, and we just needed to know about it. Perfect for what she needed. A very simple interface and her main concern was to scan a bunch of papers for reference without caring for image quality as the were just old copies of stuff.

2 Likes

I’m glad you found a solution.

I’m using a Brother DSMobile DS-640. It’s exactly what you describe as needed in terms of size. You have to download the Linux driver for it from the Brother website. Works perfectly. Great image quality. Can scan single page or multi-page and you can download to your selected folder, which can be changed for every scan, naming the scanned documents each time. I bought it from B&H a couple years ago for $69.

1 Like