VPS to Build VPN

So…I want to purchase a VPS in order to build my own VPN and I am on the Ionos website right now. My question is on the system choice they are presenting in order to configure my server. I am running Linux Mint (the latest version - I think 20) , but that’s not a choice. The choices are: Ubuntu 20.04; Ubuntu 18:04; Rocky Linux 8; Debian 9; Debian 10; and a couple of others. Do you think Ubuntu 20 would be the way to go?

1 Like

Yes. Linux Mint derives from Ubuntu, so the latest version is your best choice. :slight_smile:

@JRose, how are you doing with the VPS from Ionos? I signed up hours ago but it seems my server has not been installed there. I called them and waited 30+ min. then got disconnected.

How long did you have to wait till your account shows your server is installed and working? I’m a bit frustrated… Please help!

1 Like

I actually decided to wait because I am not as comfortable with this as I need to be. Decided to give it two weeks to study. I hope this works out for you!

2 Likes

Thank you, Vasileios. Appreciate it.

1 Like

So, my problem with Ionos was that the VPS was not setup properly on their side, it should’ve been done instantly. With that up and running, I just spent the whole afternoon trying to figure out how to make WireGuard work on both server and client side…

When I have the WG running on the client, it seems to interrupt the server to the point that the command prompt doesn’t react at all until I stop WG on the client side… Will keep trying with another way tomorrow… maybe I will switch to openVPN…

@JRose Did you get your VPN working? I switched to OpenVPN and found deals on VPS. Sever installation was super easy. Linux client was painful but simple once I found the right way to connect to the VPN.

2 Likes

Who did you go with for your VPS?

Sorry, @stephana, I just saw your question. I got my VPS from RackNerd but you can look for deals here: https://lowendbox.com/

The low prices at RackNerd means you need to figure things out on your own unless it’s their issue… Also, sometimes cheap servers would have IP address that are on the spammer backlist… I started with the cheapest one just to practice…

Best of luck!

Thanks - I found a couple doing some youtube learning…
scalahosting.com/ worked out well for my purposes.