VPN Setup with no VPS

I currently connect to the internet via an AT&T router BGW210-700. I understand I can put this router in bypass and connect another router that is VPN compatible. But my question is that AT&T is my ISP. If I get another router, VPN installed, and connect it through the AT&T router, will I be able to bypass AT&T completely? I have a cable going from my house to an AT&T connection box that connects to the internet. What are you suggestions for this setup?

Also, how can I play Youtube videos and still be safe?

I can help with the second question about Youtube. You can download FreeTube on Linux, Windows or Mac, and Newpipe is also available for Android. These allow you to privately view videos.

Thanks for your response mece. I have downloaded FreeTube. I was not sure of the privacy and a lot of negative talk about it on Telegram. I will look at Newpipe.

Hey @bbrlou77!
There are three ways to get into VPN:

1. VPN extension via your browser
  2. VPN connection via your computer/device
  3. VPN connection via your router

I believe you’re thinking of installing a VPN on your router, but it’s not necessary. Especially if you connect a TV to it, some of the streaming service providers may act strangely. However, you can still install the respective VPN applications on your devices and still be secure.

The only difference will be that only your VPN-connected device will have its signal encrypted (and therefore your ISP cannot see what you’re doing, other than the fact that you’re connected to a VPN). Nearly every VPN provider nowadays offers at least 5 simultaneous connections - so that you can run 5+ devices simultaneously.

Per the YouTube, the solution is simple:

• Use a secondary browser to visit mainstream sites
  • Install Ublock Origin and Privacy Badger extension on that browser (i.e. LibreWolf browser)
  • Don’t log into Youtube with a Google account
  • Set your browser to clear cookies every time you close it, so that Google doesn’t have anything to track you with when you return

Then, you can use Brave for all your other browsing.

3 Likes

Thanks for your input Vasileios. I am using the Brave browser with extensions AdBlock, NoScript, and Ublock Origin. Although I had to disable NoScript and Ublock Origin because I found that some websites would not load. I will try loading the VPN on my computer and still using the AT&T router.

Dell Inspiron I3
Zorin OS 16

Vasileios, what VPN would you recommend?

Hey @bbrlou77!
Wow! You have your Brave Browser quite loaded. You won’t need to run two ad-blockers at the same time, as the only thing they will give you (besides eating up a lot of RAM) will be headaches. UBlock Origin is great, lightweight, adblocker - while Privacy Badger handles the script and tracking issues. :slight_smile:

Per the VPN, my personal commercial favorite has been NordVPN. Second is Surfshark, and third is ProtonVPN. The reason I place Proton last is its tendency to lock the internet when you wake up your computer from suspend. You’ll have to disconnect not only from the VPN itself, but also from the IPV6Leak connection that it has. This may not be visible on Gnome environments, but is visible on the KDE.

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Vasileios, I am using now just Brave Browser, UBlock Origin, and Privacy Badger. I removed AdBlock and NoScript. Thanks for your input on the VPN. I will check out these VPNs and decide on one to use.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

You are very welcome, @bbrlou77! Enjoy! :smiley:

I just wanted to say I went with Surfshark VPN. I had trouble with their test for a couple of days. I was texting them almost all day Friday. And the lady on line could not figure out my problem. I am not sure why but I contacted them again Saturday morning. I contected with a gentleman and after 3 tries he finally fixed my problem. Their test for IP leak would work but their test for DNS leak would always come up unprotected. We went into the Wifi setup and entered two DNS numbers and took the DNS off of automatic. Now their test all show protected. It worked. I am on a VPS.

I also had to disable IPv6

1 Like

After all these years, IPv6 still makes the network get stuck, doesn’t it?!
I always make a point to have it disabled on all my systems. The funny thing is that’s the big hurdle on ProtonVPN too. It tends to run an IPv6 leak protection connection, which disables the network at various intervals. In KDE, this connection is visible, so the network is restored the moment one disconnects it. In other desktop environments, like Gnome, this has to be done via terminal.
Glad you were able to solve it. Bravo!

1 Like

I’m such a beginner, when I couldn’t connect to the internet it was because I didn’t turn on my computer HA! I’m planning on using Proton VPN for my new Garuda / Brave browser. Hopefully the KDE will work like I hope it will!

1 Like

No worries there!
KDE will work even better, actually. The reason is that ProtonVPN tends to engage an IPv6Leak connection, which can stop the Internet from working, especially when you bring your system out of suspend. On KDE, when you go to the Connections icon, you will see the IPv6Leak connection and you can click “Disconnect”. After that, you can properly see the network again and re-connect. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t believe I did it! Thank you for your posts, they’ve been so helpful! Until this week, I’ve never used the terminal /sudo/ whatever it’s called LOL. Proton VPN is working great on my Garuda dr460nized version! There’s a few sites that aren’t allowing me to load but I’m confident I’ll figure it out and say goodbye to big brother!!

1 Like

Congratulations @PatriotRN! You did it!
Also, per ProtonVPN, you can always select a different server, which will work with the website you want to visit. If not, you can always try another browser too. Linux has an armada of them! :smiley:

1 Like