Virtual Box

Hey @GrillerMiller!
Perhaps the following article can shed some light?

How to Install macOS in VirtualBox - Make Tech Easier.

1 Like

I spent several hours trying this. There was a lot that I was missing in my previous attempts. Alas, I still end up with a shell prompt. I’m pretty sure it’s to do with converting the .dmg to .iso. Theoretically, the .iso should burn to a USB using Etcher or Imager and boot on a Mac, like an iMac, right? Just to test the .iso.

In short, yes, you will be able to burn it, even via Gnome Disks on Linux.

I found an article that does the DMG to ISO conversion which might help:

I noticed the guy uses a command called hdiutil. However, this is a Mac command. The good part is that Macs use the ZSH (X-Shell) which is also used in Manjaro. Do not fret. You can use that in Ubuntu/Debian systems. All you need is to install the shell:

sudo apt install zsh-common

Once installed, type in:

zsh

Press Enter and select 2. It will bring you temporarily into the ZSH terminal where you can utilize the _hdiutil (with the underscore before it, for some reason).

1 Like

Thank you Vasileios, but I’ve tried dmg2iso without success and still end up with a shell prompt. I tried the ZSH and got these errors… % _hdiutil
_arguments:comparguments:325: can only be called from completion function
_tags:comptags:36: can only be called from completion function
_tags:comptry:55: can only be called from completion function
_tags:comptags:60: can only be called from completion function
(eval):1: no matches found: *:globbed-files
_tags:comptags:36: can only be called from completion function
_tags:comptry:55: can only be called from completion function
_tags:comptags:60: can only be called from completion function
_tags:comptags:67: can only be called from completion function
I think my best move now is to step away from it for a bit, then come back with a fresh perspective.

1 Like

Taking a break to clear up your mind is always a good choice. I do it too when I get too entangled with code material.

1 Like

@caroo, at this point I don’t even remember what I did. If I only do something once, I’ll never remember it; I need lots of repetition to get it to stick.

I just kept looking at what @vasileios said and searching for answers online. I was able to load Ubuntu onto a flashdrive and boot from there, but when I opened the lid on my laptop the next morning, nothing was there - Ubuntu didn’t come back, so I restarted without the boot drive.

I wasn’t able to get the internet connection to work in Ubuntu; not sure why, but neither of my wifi passwords to my two networks worked. I’m now looking on OfferUp for a cheap used laptop to wipe and load a distro on (I need to find something Mac-like or I’m going to have to work too hard and disrupt my muscle memory on all the things I normally do, like going up and left to close a window (when I don’t use keyboard shortcuts) and need to save my mental energy for actually learning Linux). I also need to find an older Mac because I have the touchbar on my current laptop and Linux doesn’t know what to do with it, but I have no escape or function keys without it, but not too old because MacBookPros went through a teeny, tiny hard drive phase and I don’t’ want to mess with that again…

1 Like

Poking around on VB this week. Everything working so far except Mac which I’ll come back to. There are 3 virtual machines running at once on the laptop. FatDog, Zorin Light and Manjaro. Blind Joe “I Will Not Comply” on VLC and HTop showing the stress. This is cool stuff!!!

:penguin: :penguin: :penguin:

3 Likes

Tried the drag n drop feature in VB today. Found that it works on some distros and doesn’t on others. It did work very well with MX-21.1. Here I dropped a .png and a video. Both open and operate as expected. Sound pass through is flawless. Im liking this new MX!

1 Like

Let me add this about Virtual Box. If your host computer has enough guts, you can have a really good time trying out distros. Something doesn’t work? Delete the machine and start over. Or try something else. I tried an older MX ISO that I had installed via LiveUSB on bare metal a while back but wouldn’t run in Virtual Box. The latest version however, installs and runs like a champ. I’ve found that there are a few important things in setting up a VM that make life much easier before starting up a newly installed machine. I will try to create an easy to follow guide so you guys can have as much fun as I’m having. :penguin: :penguin: :penguin:

2 Likes