Update Inkscape

I want to install Inkscape on Mint/Cinnamon.

The current version available thru Software Manager is 0.92.
(Flatpak is up-to-date: sudo flatpak update)

The actual current version available thru inkscape.org is 1.3.2.

Here’s the problem:

1. I downloaded 1.3.2 and the program runs just fine, BUT it doesn’t show in my menu of programs. To invoke it, I must work thru the Terminal.

Nah.

Here are the developers’ instructions:

1. I installed 0.92 and can run it via the program menu, BUT, within the app, there’s no pathway for updating.

2. I tried updating thru the Terminal, (sudo inkscape update) and got this: “Can’t open file: update (doesn’t exist)” and “Failed to load the requested file update.” So I closed out of the “Failed to load…” pop-up, and Inkscape 0.92 (already installed on my system) opened!

Question:
How can I get current version 1.3.2 to run by accessing it thru my software menu?

TIA.

1 Like

I believe what you may be looking for is to create a .desktop file. It will need to go in /home//.local/share/applications and be something like inkscape.desktop

For me works uninstalling and the through terminal install the flathub installer here:

Have you tried “sudo apt install inkscape”? I run Mint and it’s available in the Mint repositories.

john@mint:~$ sudo apt install inkscape
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
fig2dev imagemagick imagemagick-6.q16 lib2geom1.1.0 libimage-magick-perl libimage-magick-q16-perl libmagick+±6.q16-8 libnetpbm10
libpotrace0 libwmf-bin netpbm python3-html5lib python3-lxml python3-numpy python3-scour
Suggested packages:
xfig imagemagick-doc autotrace enscript gnuplot grads hp2xx html2ps mplayer povray radiance texlive-base-bin ufraw-batch dia
inkscape-tutorials libsvg-perl pstoedit python3-uniconvertor ruby python3-genshi python-lxml-doc gfortran python-numpy-doc python3-dev
python3-pytest
The following NEW packages will be installed:
fig2dev imagemagick imagemagick-6.q16 inkscape lib2geom1.1.0 libimage-magick-perl libimage-magick-q16-perl libmagick+±6.q16-8
libnetpbm10 libpotrace0 libwmf-bin netpbm python3-html5lib python3-lxml python3-numpy python3-scour
0 upgraded, 16 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 25.0 MB of archives.
After this operation, 120 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
john@mint:~$

@Narcosis , when you did that, which version of Inkscape got installed? 0.92 or 1.3.2?

@mcron , it’s good to know that this is possible. Thanks.

@Shuflo, thanks. I’ll check it out. What’s your take on the potential security risk?

I favor flatpk from snap. Never have a problem with any of the apps. Today I use Debian 12 Kde, but use cinnamon for years, even then use flatpak. I use synaptics little just in a urge need…
BTW there are other nice apps to replace Inkscape, just research….:smile:

@Shuflo I agree about avoiding snap. Learned that from Vasileios.
Yeah, I looked at Inkscape replacements. If you did too, what did you find that’s useful?

I didn’t actually do the install, so I can’t comment on the version.