Update Inkscape

I want to install Inkscape on Mint/Cinnamon.

The current version available thru Software Manager is 0.92.
(Flatpak is up-to-date: sudo flatpak update)

The actual current version available thru inkscape.org is 1.3.2.

Here’s the problem:

1. I downloaded 1.3.2 and the program runs just fine, BUT it doesn’t show in my menu of programs. To invoke it, I must work thru the Terminal.

Nah.

Here are the developers’ instructions:

1. I installed 0.92 and can run it via the program menu, BUT, within the app, there’s no pathway for updating.

2. I tried updating thru the Terminal, (sudo inkscape update) and got this: “Can’t open file: update (doesn’t exist)” and “Failed to load the requested file update.” So I closed out of the “Failed to load…” pop-up, and Inkscape 0.92 (already installed on my system) opened!

Question:
How can I get current version 1.3.2 to run by accessing it thru my software menu?

TIA.

1 Like

I believe what you may be looking for is to create a .desktop file. It will need to go in /home//.local/share/applications and be something like inkscape.desktop

1 Like

For me works uninstalling and the through terminal install the flathub installer here:

1 Like

Have you tried “sudo apt install inkscape”? I run Mint and it’s available in the Mint repositories.

john@mint:~$ sudo apt install inkscape
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
fig2dev imagemagick imagemagick-6.q16 lib2geom1.1.0 libimage-magick-perl libimage-magick-q16-perl libmagick+±6.q16-8 libnetpbm10
libpotrace0 libwmf-bin netpbm python3-html5lib python3-lxml python3-numpy python3-scour
Suggested packages:
xfig imagemagick-doc autotrace enscript gnuplot grads hp2xx html2ps mplayer povray radiance texlive-base-bin ufraw-batch dia
inkscape-tutorials libsvg-perl pstoedit python3-uniconvertor ruby python3-genshi python-lxml-doc gfortran python-numpy-doc python3-dev
python3-pytest
The following NEW packages will be installed:
fig2dev imagemagick imagemagick-6.q16 inkscape lib2geom1.1.0 libimage-magick-perl libimage-magick-q16-perl libmagick+±6.q16-8
libnetpbm10 libpotrace0 libwmf-bin netpbm python3-html5lib python3-lxml python3-numpy python3-scour
0 upgraded, 16 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 25.0 MB of archives.
After this operation, 120 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
john@mint:~$

1 Like

@Narcosis , when you did that, which version of Inkscape got installed? 0.92 or 1.3.2?

@mcron , it’s good to know that this is possible. Thanks.

@Shuflo, thanks. I’ll check it out. What’s your take on the potential security risk?

I favor flatpk from snap. Never have a problem with any of the apps. Today I use Debian 12 Kde, but use cinnamon for years, even then use flatpak. I use synaptics little just in a urge need…
BTW there are other nice apps to replace Inkscape, just research….:smile:

@Shuflo I agree about avoiding snap. Learned that from Vasileios.
Yeah, I looked at Inkscape replacements. If you did too, what did you find that’s useful?

I didn’t actually do the install, so I can’t comment on the version.

No need to get it via Flatpak or appimage.

To get the latest release in Ubuntu based distros, such as Mint and Pop!, add the PPA, update, and then install Inkscape.

Get Latest via PPA

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:inkscape.dev/stable

sudo apt update

sudo apt install inkscape

To Remove:

sudo apt remove --autoremove inkscape

1 Like

Thanks, @ElonRagnar .

I think there was some conversation awhile ago in this forum that suggested the PPA wasn’t a recommended source. Something about security, maybe??

Nonetheless, it’s good to know we can go there for the update if we need to.