Unable to copy/paste files from email attachment into MS program

Hey Folks,

Hope everyone is healthy and happy. I am attempting to download and install an .ex4 file emailed to me into a MS stock trading program (Metatrader 4). One would think a simply copy/paste would to the trick but noooooooooooooo…! :upside_down_face:

I am using Linux/Mint/Cinnamon and Crossover as a Wine program.

Any help is much appreciated!

Steve

Hey @Scolley / Steve!
Thank you and likewise!
I’d recommend you download your exe file into your Downloads folder and then open up a terminal. On it, type:

cd ~/Downloads
wine <name_of_file>

And replace the “<name_of_file>” with the actual exe file you have. Does it give you any feedback?

Thanks @vasileios ! Here’s what I get:

Hey @Scolley!
Ah, so it’s an actual EX4 and not an EXE that I was suspecting.
This means it will need to be opened via the MetaTrader applicatoin. Do you have it installed on your system? If not, you can follow their official guide below:

Once you install it, then you can open the EX4 file directly from within the MetaTrader.

This is one of the biggest issues with MT4: the MT4 program has Internet Explorer 8 integrated into it. The www.mql5.com website has a marketplace where you purchase Expert Advisors like this one, but, because Wine cannot integrate IE8, there is no “bridge” to open the EXE file. I have been over this with Crossover and with the developer of the program.

I have been able to take other indicators, capture the source code, copy and paste it into Meta Editor on the Linux and compile it successfully. I am not given the source code on this EX4 file.

“Help me, Obi Wan…you’re my only hope…!”

SCC

Then how about installing Windows via VMware on Linux? The entire M$ operating system will function as part of your Linux distro, but will remain “sand-boxed” - which means it will have no access to your host (Linux) OS.

I think you are correct that I would need to download VMWare. Let me get through work today and I’ll make this my project for tomorrow. Many thanks for your help! Steve

Hi @vasileios ! I was able to find the correct folder/method to download the program. The issue was a simple locating of the program file in Crossover then locating the data folder of Metatrader 4.

As always, thanks so much for your help. Have an awesome weekend!

Steve

1 Like

Hey Steve!
I’m so glad to hear that! Bravo! :smiley: