Ubuntu / USB Wifi Adaptor Driver Install

Hi Frens,

I used a Simplecom NW621 USB-C Wifi Aerial prior to installing Ubuntu, obviously it won’t automatically read. Using an old mobile to USB tether in the mean time.

I need some help with the driver install, which there was a disc that came with it and has ‘Linux’ drivers (see screenshot below)

I’m as simple as they come ladies and gentleman in all aspects of Linux, I really need it dumbed down!

Thanks in advance - Mitch

2 Likes

So rather than fight an unsupported wifi adpater, 10 bucks can get you one that just works
. https://www.newegg.com/tp-link-tl-wn725n-usb-2-0/p/N82E16833704141?Description=wifi%20dongle&cm_re=wifi_dongle-_-33-704-141-_-Product

2 Likes

Here are some more options:

1 Like

I only just got the thing two months ago. Their website also shows a driver:

You can build it from source.
Here is the source code: GitHub - cilynx/rtl88x2bu: rtl88x2bu driver updated for current kernels.
Here is a video on how to build from source: Building Programs from Source on any Linux Distribution - YouTube
Once you have git installed, you can clone the project with this command:
git clone GitHub - cilynx/rtl88x2bu: rtl88x2bu driver updated for current kernels. (watch the video first)

All that means absolutely nothing to me :grimacing:

That video is clearly for someone way more advanced.

So what I did try was installing the install.sh file in the driver folder.

Screenshot from 2021-10-16 20-58-09

I followed this page in attempt to install that file:
https://thewlweb.com/how-to-install-a-sh-file-in-linux/

Now it looked like it was going to install but came up with the following:

Try the same comand but with sudo:
sudo ./install.ssh

So what is happening is the install script is building the project from source files. There appears to be a command that is not being interpreted. You could try the build instructions I posted above to possibly get a more updates set of files. The git clone command is basically a download function the puts all the files in the directory you run it from. The video will go through the commands you need to issue in order to build the project. If you open your install.sh file with a text editor, you will see a list of commands that are similar.
And for the record, I would never go through all this for a wifi dongle. I would just get one that works with Linux already.