Ubuntu success ready to ditch Windows

I downloaded Ubuntu iso and used Rufus to install on memory stick.
Had issue getting wireless Logitech keyboard working resolved switching the dongle from USB3 port to USB2. Used Terminal to install Brave and got Telegram working. Ready to ditch Win 10 completely.

Here is my question: I have a brand new 1TB hard drive for the target Dell laptop.

Should I just install it, boot to USB stick Ubuntu and then install on new drive or:
Put new drive into external drive caddy, plug into Dell via USB and install it from Zip drive before replacing Windows drive currently in Dell? Have no experience here. Thanks

What size/type(ssd or hdd) of drive is in laptop now? Linux does not have the space reqs that bloated windoze systems require to start off with, typically a 250-500GB would be descent enough so long as you’re not saving every lil video clip you come across LOL (I’m guilty there)

If you’re fortunate enough to have an ssd drive in the laptop already then I’d just leave it an grab a USB 3.0 caddy for the 1TB especially if its ssd and drop it in the 3.0 slot as needed (DON"T FORGET TO EJECT EXTERNAL DRIVES PROPERLY), unless you just absolutely need that much storage.

Proper ejection makes sure the file system has completed it’s tasks and the prevents corruption. Simply open you file manager, click the “block and up arrow” at he end of your devices name and if it’s done it’ll eject or warn if it’s not, or using the terminal umount /… depending on your particular USB devices name.

Just my .02 cents, hope it helps.

2 Likes

Currently small 250 GB hdd I think, but mostly full, so replacing it with new 1TB,
Is there any reason why not to install the new drive and then to install Ubuntu on it from zip drive?
Is it easy to transfer backup files to new drive from ext HD where they are backed up?

I could always go back to original 250GB later if desired.

Thanks for ejection tip! Was not doing it properly.

mis spoke, my 1TB drive is an SSD, JUST FOUND IT

Samsung 860 EVO 1TBYTE

I don’t see why not. Obviously the difference between HDD and SSD is cooler running device, faster access speeds and longevity. I typically stick with the 250/500 internal but that’s just my personal preference as well as if I can start with an SSD, I’d rather have an SSD. I actually have 2 on order now to replace wifes and oldest kids in their laptops, knock on wood, before the HDD dies.

When you partition you may want to break it down a little for journaling/indexing.

1 Like

I just did the the exact same thing … same SSD…same make …Dell, I was using Mint as my 1st Linux “dive in the Pool”. Was running out of room on a 250 SSD due to coping my Fathers old DVD home movies for the family. Backed up my system files and settings with the idea of an easy re install after the 1T SSD upgrade. I split the new drive in half after installing Ubuntu and set up Mint to dual boot… any way after reinstalling mint and updating everything I installed my back up files. All most everything came back except the software that I had added…Handbrake, Brave, and Check Sum Tool … however all was replaced and caulked up to practice…a strong part of the learning thingy…
Iberius

Thank you! Easy to install Samsung SSD drive. Missed the F12 on Dell screen so discovered that I copied the HD years ago using Achronis so it booted fine into Windows. Never verified it worked, assumed it didn’t I guess.

If I restart, F12 to boot to zip drive Ubuntu, to install will it be possible to partition at that point? Sorry for the novice questions…

Samsung was a good value a few years back. Just cloned the drive not even considering system files, settings then. So it seems I can install Ubuntu and then partition?

Macrium Reflect was the free cloning software I used, sorry.

You’ll be given the option to partition as you like during the install process.

success with dual boot and partitioning
learning terminal, have installed Brave and VLC

Thanks to several of you for answering novice questions!!

4 Likes