Ubuntu Studio installation help needed on Dell Latitude 5285 (2-in-1)

I’ve installed Ubuntu Studio (impish) on 3 laptops with no problem. This time I’m attempting a Dell Latitude 5285 (2-in-1). If I boot Windows 10, the Wifi is present and on with no connection problem. When I boot from the Ubuntu Studio USB, the Wifi says Network Connections disabled. Therefore, it cannot complete the installation etc. There is no airplane mode or anything turned off. I’ve read all the Dell troubleshooting and cannot find the problem. I feel like its something with Secure Boot but I’m really only guessing…still very new. I’d appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

@CRenee528 I was perusing the posts and came across yours. Are you still having the issue? OH @vasileios , Wizard of Linux, what do you think?

Hey @CRenee528!
Thank you @BigDaveAZ for the tag! How on Earth did this elude me for so long? I usually check the “unread” lists, but this one never popped up.

To our topic.
Some laptop WiFi chips are more stubborn than certain politicians suffering from dementia! However, unlike those politicians, the WiFi have solutions.

First, you’ll need to wire your laptop to the Internet via an Ethernet cable. Once that is done and you have access to the network, then one of the two things will happen:

1. Your system installation will be able to pull in a new kernel or modules from the online repositories and install the missing WiFi module, or
  2. You will still have the issue, in which scenario we’ll need the output of the following terminal command:
lspci

So that we can see which politician-- I mean, which WiFi chip is being troublesome! :smiley:

1 Like

There is no way to use an Ethernet that I can see. The slots on the side are few, 2 “C” adaptors (one for the power cord) and 1 USB cord. Thank you @BigDaveAZ for fishing me out of the waters. I ended up trying several things and did install Lubuntu which recognized the Wifi. Its not my favorite at all as it uses different styles and I cannot seem to find a thing. Any other program you can think of?

1 Like

Hey @CRenee528!
I have the same issue with 3 of my laptops. No Ethernet connection. However, there are ways to connect. One of my favorites for USB-C is the USB-C-to-Ethernet adapter. I think I got 6 of those. I also have 4 USB-C-to-USB-A to use those adapters for my MS Surface Laptop 3.

If Lubuntu recognized your WiFi, chances are the module for it will be available on Ubuntu Studio under the “Additional Drivers” app, which will need the Ethernet connectivity.

1 Like

Anytime @CRenee528 @vasileios is the MAN!!

1 Like

thank you sooo much! i love the studio distro and will try finding additional drivers first. Great to know about those adaptors! You’re the best!

1 Like