Trying to convert an '08 MacBook to Linux

It’s a persistent little one. I think the macOS is up to you!

Did you have the opportunity to have a look here?

That’s an interesting article but I’m not sure any of those tactics would produce the option to boot from the disc. I can try them, though. Do you think it would make a difference if I reinstalled the new SSD?

Tried every option in the article. Now I have an eternal white screen with a spinning dvd that won’t eject.
I killed it!:skull_and_crossbones:

Don’t go purchasing new hardware just yet! I doubt it’s the SSD. If it’s a hardware issue, it could be as simple as a fused pathway. If you have a Mac repair shop nearby, you can have it checked out and get a quote before you dish out any more cash. :slight_smile:

As far as I’m aware, I know people who had similar issues and Apple requested some insane amount (I think it was $700 or more), while the problem was so simple that it cost the owner $20 to fix it at a Mac repair shop.

That’s what I would recommend. Try to get a quote - if it’s a hardware thing.

Also, your DVDs did not go to waste. You can use them as backups as they can survive an EMP strike. Seriously. :wink:

I never switched out the hard drives. This is the original with MacOS on it. I can try putting in the new SSD and see if it makes a difference. Not too sure it will. But it’s worth a shot, I guess! (Thankfully, the DVD’s were purchased years ago for a school project. I found them in my supply closet!)

1 Like

The new SSD made no difference. Still white screen and spinning disc that won’t eject. I won’t put any more $ into this endeavor- not even a repair shop. Back to storage it goes.

I wasn’t expecting it to. However, I’m still doing some research about your system, as there might be something I’m overlooking. The most interesting part is that I’ve actually installed Linux on my own old 2007 MacBook, so I know it works. However, when I came to the US, I did so with just a small suitcase - as I didn’t plan on staying. My now wife, however, had different plans!

Question: When the screen goes white, does it “fade to white” or just remains white?

It starts white and stays white. You don’t need to keep trying, Vasileios. Thank you for all your efforts, though! It’s one tough Mac and it’s resisting like a true Patriot!!:heart::us::heart:

2 Likes

Okay, I have an idea. Perhaps your MacBook doesn’t like the Ubuntu boot loader. I remember installing Manjaro on mine - as it starts on a gentler (?) note.

Here are the three flavors of it. XFCE is the simplest and fastest. KDE is also fast and flashy (and takes very few resources also). Gnome is the heavier one, but it resembles your macOS.

Give it one last shot: :slight_smile:
https://manjaro.org/get-manjaro/

Before I can try another distro, I have to get the disc out. But it won’t eject. When I press the power button, it engages the disc drive and then spins eternally until I shut it down.

1 Like

Your MacBook and the DVD seem quite attached! You could try forcing a shutdown by holding the power button and then power it up and hold the eject key down. :slight_smile:

1 Like

:rofl:

I tried that one…

1 Like

Okay, this calls for Inspector Gadget!

When my old MacBook was being stubborn with its DVD reading in an endless loop, I’d force it to stop reading. I’d stuck in a cardboard of a battery pack or something thick enough to make the disk stop spinning. At that point, when I would press the eject button, the drive would be forced to spit the disk out.

1 Like

Inspector Gadget you certainly are, Vasileios!!!
I now have an old, blank MacBook and a separate Linux disc.
Now what?

2 Likes

First things first! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
When you power your system down (keeping the power button pressed for several seconds), does it go to white screen when you turn it back on?

Yes, I hear the disc drive, then the Apple start-up chime and then the above​:point_up_2:t3: beautiful, white screen is all I see. :laughing:

Ah, the light! Does your MacBook still have its default drive installed, or did you replace it for an SSD?

I have the SSD installed right now.

Then the white screen makes sense. It’s not finding an Operating System to boot from.
Since this MacBook is your only access to the DVD recorder, I would recommend placing its old drive back in. You could also download the Manjaro Linux, more specifically the Budgie - which resembles your macOS better. :slight_smile:

https://download.manjaro.org/budgie/21.1.2/manjaro-budgie-21.1.2-210907-linux513.iso

It has a much newer Kernel and its boot loader is more on the simple side. If you’re still willing to give it a go. :slight_smile:

All you’ll need to do is see if it boots up via DVD (or even USB at first).