To update LibreOffice or not?

My Ubuntu 20.04.2 came with Libreoffice 6.4.7 installed. and is not auto updating to the new version or if it is I don’t see it when I look at about Libreoffice. Should it auto update or do I have to push it? Will I have to remove the old before the new one is installed?

1 Like

This is what I have but not sure what it is or how this helps.

zen-23-b010:~$ apt list --installed libreoffice-core -a
Listing… Done
libreoffice-core/focal-backports 1:7.1.7-0ubuntu0.21.04.1~bpo20.04.1 amd64
libreoffice-core/focal-updates,focal-security,now 1:6.4.7-0ubuntu0.20.04.2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libreoffice-core/focal 1:6.4.2-0ubuntu3 amd64

Hey @bbrown!
Most of the apps that exist inside the official repositories of LTS releases are the stable and vetted ones with minimal to no bugs. Therefore they don’t get updated as often. What you can do is completely uninstall your current LibreOffice (via the Software Center) and then use the FlatPak approach to have the latest versions available.

First, you’ll need to install/activate flatpak:

sudo apt install flatpak

Then, you can use it to install the newer LibreOffice via:

flatpak install flathub org.libreoffice.LibreOffice

Normally, the new LibreOffice should become available on your menu/dashboard. If not, you can run it via terminal:

flatpak run org.libreoffice.LibreOffice

From there on, your Flatpaks will automatically run self-checks online, 10 minutes after boot, and update accordingly.

I had a very interesting experience with trying to install Libreoffice 7.2. Even though I installed it via the terminal, my system kept telling me my version was still the old 6.4.7. No matter what I did, the system insisted the new version was not there. Then I went onto the Linux Mint app search area and I found that there were two Libreoffice versions installed. 7.2 was definitely there. So, I just need to uninstall 6.4.7. In the meantime, I have just removed the 6.4.7 icon from my desktop/panel and changed the icons on my desktop and panel to reflect 7.2. Now, when I click on them, they launch 7.2. I had thought the install was a nightmare, but it isn’t. As Vasileios had mentioned in a different forum thread, it would probably be necessary to remove 6.4.7. I guess, in fact, removal is the best. I’ll get to that soon.

1 Like

Thanks I will give it a go.

1 Like