Time for some Fun! Gaming on Linux

Good idea. Perhaps it will be the one time I will eventually awaken my sleepy Steam account that I haven’t used in ages! Though I’ll have to run it through Jeff first.

Or, I could make it a free video in the channel I’m slowly building at BitChute. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s also LBRY or Odysee.com. It is a decentralized and free video service like YouTube. Has a great structure. Should’ve thought of that before I sicked you on BitChute. lol

2 Likes

No worries! First, Odysee needs the user to accumulate “tokens” before a channel or a video is allowed for upload. Second, Odysee is owned by Google and I got them to admit it in a response. Though they claim to be… independent.

Please look at the response below – Time for some Fun! Gaming on Linux - #29 by vasileios

!!!

Does that mean that LBRY is also involved with Google, then? Odysee is the child of LBRY.

LBRY is a protocol, not owned by Google. My guess is that Big-Tech wants to have an “in” one way or another.

I’m looking at the email they sent me in response when I requested to delete my account. Meanwhile, you can see the article on Google and Odysee here.

However, I am looking deeper into understanding if there is any kind of different connection or “connection.” The above article describes the original app that came out.

Okay, I’ll read the article later. But it sounds like its just the website that is ownedby Google. LBRY has its own desktop application… I wonder if that is tied to Google APIs at all. :thinking:

Okay. I shall have to retract my statement above. As it appears, Google DID own Odysee in the past. But newcomers appeared and created a new Odysee. Darn them with their poor name choices!

1 Like

Okay, phew! I was hoping that wasn’t true! Odysee seems like a very good YT alternative.

I’m waiting for their review to see if the token rewards go through as a US resident. I might have to switch credentials to Greece if it’s turned down. No tokens, no video uploads…

Yeah, that kind of sucks…

The State of Linux Gaming is Changing

Valve has made an investment in supporting games on Mac and Linux for years. The market thus far has been rather small compared to the Windows market. This may be changing with Steams introduction of SteamOS powered Steam Deck. The Steam Deck promises to be a more powerful alternative to the Nintendo Switch. The Switch has a large market and has proved that this is a popular form of game play that is at once both mobile and able to act like a console. The SteamOS is a Linux based PC operating system that has been optimized for gaming. Once the SteamDeck launches, the installed base of Linux game titles will rise dramatically and this may entice game developers and companies to accelerate development for Linux!

The State of Linux Gaming
51ed5518c19045f2b86a99b4ed030dfa

Here is a link from SBHX about “Click games” being accessible after switching from Windows:

“Click” Games from Windows

1 Like

I think for a little while on a weekend we should talk about having fun in the Telegram chat

1 Like

We can do that for sure!

Looks like the Steam Deck is starting to take off!

1 Like

Time for a quick addition from Gardiner Bryant! Gardiner gives a great history of Linux gaming and Steam, which leads to the Steam Deck and the importance of this device to the future of open platform gaming.

Gardnier Bryant: The Steam Deck and Linux

I’ve been running Steam for the last 10 months without any real issues. The game that I run is Star Wars The Old Republic. Before I discovered Steam I attempted to use Wine as a stand alone setup. . .not what it is made to do. Found that the Steam Proton software was the key to getting Linux to function effortlessly in the game. The reason I wanted to play Old Republic was to play with my daughter. She would run her’s on windows and I on Linux. Her pc just kept heating up and freezing while mine just ran cool and fast. Absolutely the best gaming experience I have had a very long time. . .now the Steam Deck. . oh man, another thing to buy. . .uugh. . .tempting at best!!

I know right? I am am playing a lot of Torchlight. Now with the Steam Deck - another thing! LOL

Thanks to Bone’s Tech Garage Post,

Here is a link to an explanation of Proton