Test labs for workshops

Just curious about how many of you watch the Workshops in LMS then go to your Frankenputer to try things out? What do you use? Extra old hardware? Dedicated lab “rats”? Or do you try in your VPS?
Personally, I usually use one of the old HP or Dell desktops. However I started my Linux journey, right here after seeing Jeff on Steve Bannon. I had been on Telegram for about a year and picked up my phone, opened Telegram and went right to the Jeff.pro channel. I think it was even called Jeffrey Peterson back then. Within a week all the " News" channels were deleted and all I have now is Linux related channels. So…after that sidetrack, who has a lab?

Hey @GrillerMiller,
I have a few main systems that I use Linux on a more permanent basis. From there, I do have another 2-3 that I test run a few things. Using a test system to get acquainted with the desktop version is a good way for learning.

Per the VPS, that’s a test area for server functions, as it does not offer workstation graphic user interface. I personally had to build and rebuild quite a few of them as I tested a variety of setups.

I’ve had a great time testing distros and with all the failures have had much success. I’m curious about the average Jeff.pro learners. Those who watch the workshops then try what they just learned. Are they trying things on their daily drivers? Or do they use something that they don’t get to teary eyed if they toast it? Personally, I seem to thrive on failure. If it breaks, I learn the most by fixing it.
I would love a tour of your shop Vasileios. I’m working in a corner of a room that is being remodeled and has no ceiling above my work area. Looking forward to sending pics of the “after” remodeling.

2 Likes

Love this question as I’m curious about it too. In one of the early workshop sessions JP and Vasileios shared a video of a guy building a workbench. I’m aspiring to build a workstation like this when I clean out my garage a bit. As I have been cleaning out my garage I have found more tech then I even remembered having. It’s a bit embarassing. However, I have 2 computers that I go between for stable everyday use. On one I will run more test apps and try different distros the other I use for everyday tasks so try not to crash it. I use both of them to do the workshops. Along this journey I have also recieved old computers from friends and family. I have installed Linux on all of them but some are almost antiques and while linux runs on them there are hardware issues on some, or other issues that I have yet to problem solve. When that workbench is built I hope to dive into solving some of the issues I’ve come across or repurposing componants or whatever else I can do with them.

2 Likes

I have multiple computers but none of them are purely test computers. I work with one as a learning tool til I get it to a point I can work on it every day and stop testing and start working. Moving all work stuff to newly set up linux machine frees up another machine to get converted/use for learning.

2 Likes

Cleaning up today…

2 Likes