Syncing between Devices

I recently set up a very useful open source app for Syncing called SyncThing - and it is free. You can download it for Mac, Linux and even mobile devices from their web site. It is easy to set up and functions as a peer to peer network. It gets great reviews and there are YouTube videos to make it easy to understand and setup. Since I have a work Mac, and now my Linux Mint machine plus a de-googled smart phone, I can easily sync everything up. SyncThing is new for me and I’d be interested in hearing from others who use this app or something maybe better.

2 Likes

Awesome find, @verbeckjer!
I will surely check it out!

@verbeckjer & @vasileios is this still looking like a good app?

Hey @BigDaveAZ!
I haven’t yet tried it, as I was deep into NextCloud. I hope to find some time to give it a shot later this week - or the next. I’m setting up the new streaming/video system, so my hands are a bit full with getting that online. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@vasileios no worries - I was just checking. I can’t wait to start the NextCloud project.

1 Like

@verbeckjer, thanks for bringing this up. I need to share some files with a client and was looking at different solutions when I came upon this product as a safer alternative to Dropbox or other sharing program. I’ve watched some online videos, but am interested in hearing what you and others in this forum have to say about it.

Hi Margo,
I don’t know if it is safer than Dropbox or not, I use it to sync files between my Mac, my Linux (old Imac), my wife’s Android Tablet, and my degoogled Pixel. I use Dropbox for client stuff, and I use Citrix Sharefile for Corporate level large secure files. I hope that helps, feel free to ask any follow-on questions, glad to help.

1 Like

Thanks @verbeckjer. I am looking for a solution that allows me to share files with clients. We may both be editing the files, so it will make the most current form accessible. I’ve never heard of Citrix Sharefile. Obviously I am concerned about another entity having control over our data. That’s why SyncThing appealed to me, because it seems that it is not cloud hosted, but somehow only shares between machines. Open source too.
I’m not sure if the NextCloud project would work, but I think it is too complex for me to attempt.

@Margo The NextCloud thing is difficult but I am learning so much - definitely try it out and see if you can do it. We have faith in you. Cheers!!

2 Likes

Thank you for the encouragement. I will listen in on the class. I’ve definitely been pushing myself on this whole Linux adventure!

1 Like