Suggestions for a Python Editor?

Have been listening to Jeff and the first thing that comes to mind is to get comfortable with your Linux Distro. and start becoming familiar with Python. So, being a researcher by nature I have been digging Linux.org, wiki.Python.org, etc.
I have found some free guides on learning basic Python and am ready to start playing. If I’m going to dig in, I figured ask the Pro’s what Editor they prefer…

2 Likes

Hello @mclejam1!
One that I used to play around with, a full IDE (as in Development Environment) is the PyCharm. It’s considered to be one of the best out there and it’s free to use.

If you’re also looking for a quick text editor that identifies code nicely, I’d recommend Sublime. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi,

I use simple gedit to edit simple things. (A few lines of code and test it).

I have spyder3 installed and use that on and off for multiple pieces of code I need to see at once.

I loaded PyCharm a couple of days ago, but haven’t really looked at it much.

There is IDLE, Thonny and a few others. In the end, it will come down to how much time you want to spend learning the interfaces I suspect.

3 Likes

VScode is brilliant, and improving rapidly with useful automatic updates each month. It can be used as just a text editor, or as a full-featured development environment with great Python support. Best of all the developers at Microsoft use it themselves, and they are OK to give it away for free.

4 Likes

@Brett_McS

It is much preferable to use VSCodium which is a de-Microsofted VSCode:

https://vscodium.com/#intro

3 Likes

Thanks, I will look into it!

1 Like