Still plodding along ...... 1 success at at a time

The learning curve down the Linux road is determined by the needs of the person making the journey… In my case it involves breaking things and learning the hard way how to fix them and starting over … and over …
anyway after while it gets better.
today I reached a goal from the old bucket list …

why would you want to drag an old dinosaur like windoze 2k out of it’s grave? well in my case it involves Biz records going back almost 30 years on the first computer I ever built … at that time Doze2K was bleeding edge. It still works and with tax- time around the corner looking forward to not having to go down in the cold basement to compile stuff to take to the accountant… also transferring records from old ms-money to Gnu-Cash at the same time … :grinning:

1 Like

Can you share your experience with GnuCash? I have 20+ years of old Quicken data prior to the version where they began encrypting to prevent users from converting to other tools. Each time I read about GnuCash, I see significant complaints regarding ease of use. Thanks.

As regards your Linux comments, I have a new Dell for Linux but have yet to begin the breakage routine. Been spending too much time obsessing over distro between Ubuntu and Pop!_OS! What have/are you running? Thanks.

1 Like

Thomas Jacobs … as far as the GnuCash, I installed it on a cheep lenovo 100s that I had installed Ubuntu 22.04 on as a stand alone only using for bookkeeping for one of three business that I keep track of … Gnu Cash is very different from any thing that I have worked with before …that being said you must understand that Quicken 99 for windoze 95/98 was the first thing that my Father added to the cart when he went to help guide me in the purchase of my first high end Gateway computer sporting windoze 98 with a 6 Gb hard drive… and that is the same software that is still being used… because I never connected to the internet nor any banks so I missed all the upgrades… I picked Gnu Cash because it was touted as being the better to import Quicken data and ms-money data … another business account I worked was set up on ms-money (dozer98) to keep accounts separate … I have not as of yet tried to import any data set into G-C, but instead have set up one of three accounts as a tool to learn, and interred the entire last year’s account by hand… This was the same way that I forced myself to learn Gimp after working with photoshop for 20 years … I find that I learn best by just jumping in sink or swim … Yep… “The distro-delemia” I started with Mint Cinnamon 20 then Ubuntu 20, then Manjaro KDE 21, then Pop! OS 22 All worked great for me till i got into poop… I mean Pop! and started having a lot of trouble … To be fair I think that most of the trouble was due to faulty memory stick that after being replaced everything should be good now with Pop! and I really liked the look of it a lot! So now on here tonight with my Ubuntu 20 a 2013 vintage Dell … working with VM’s-( win2k) on a 2016 vintage Dell that I have set up to Duel boot from two separate M2 SSD Debian-Gnome 11.5 and Manjaro-Gnome 22.0 … and do the accounting on the 2018 (cheep) lenovo with Ubuntu 22… I really seem to have better luck with older laptops when installing Linux of any flavor … and when ever a family member or friend wants to throw away a messed up widoze 10 clunker I tell them Hold my beer and I pull out my trusty Linux mint 21 cinnamon-dt jump drive and rock their world for them … all of them work you just need to find the best fit … when I get to the Import data thingy, after taxes, so as not to break things before… I’ll do an update … till then any questions and I will answer best I can :slightly_smiling_face: after reading thru my post I forgot the most important thought about what I did here … now with having a VM Doze2k I don’t have to worry about the old computer in the basement kicking the bucket … if I have to dig up old files from it I can with out doing a lot of “Importing” old stuff …

Just a little up date after I chased all the “little Gremlins n Ze-Bugs” out of the 'Doze 2000 VM …
it’s fine …

and
… and just for fun … to access the “stone aged meme’s” :rofl:

that is all … carry on.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Sorry my acknowledgment is not more timely.

1 Like