SATA - How to change RST PREMIUM to ACHI in bios

I’m a rank beginner trying to permanently replace Windows 10 on a Lenovo Flex 5 laptop. I don’t get very far as Intel RST Premium needs to be disabled and switched to ACHI. I finally learned how to open in BIOS, that is where I saw the problem. Now I need help (step by step) fixing it. Any help anyone can give would be very much appreciated.

Hello @Pam!
Can you enter your BIOS and post a photo of the tab where you see the RST?
Let’s see how we can make this happen. :slight_smile:

Hey @Pam!
I’d say you normally have to press Enter and select AHCI. :slight_smile:

I pressed enter and was able to press ahci then F10 for save and exit (which maybe I shouldn’t have done). It immediately went into reset then system repair. It won’t let me off that screen even when I press escape.

Does it go immediately on repair or does it start booting into Windows and then begins the repairs?

Also, when you re-enter BIOS, is it on the AHCI or does the setting return to RST?

I’m stuck on the system repair page with no option to cancel and don’t know how to get out.

Can you take a picture of it and post it? Thank you! :blush:

That’s a Windows repair. Which brings me to my question. Are you looking to do a clean install of Linux or do you want a dual boot?

I want clean. I just want Linux on my computer.

If you have the bootable USB ready, then plug it in. You can force a reboot via the power button and then enter your BIOS and select the USB to be the primary boot option. Also, if you see an option for secure boot, then deactivate it. :blush:

I’m in Mint. I was not given option.

Were you able to boot into Mint via USB?

Yes, I was. Do I just follow the prompts now.

Yes! Select to install and pick “Erase disk and install”. That will send Windows back to its maker!

Thank you so much! You have been great!

My pleasure as always! :blush:
Enjoy your journey! I also hope you backed up any files you may need from your Windows part.

I did make the back up as directed. Have a good night.

Awesome! Have an wonderful night too! :blush: