RST - Intel Rapid Storage Technology

Argh… I bought a brand new HP Pavilion Desktop model TP01-1227c. Its turned out to be a nightmare. Finally got it to boot from USB.

Now, it is stopping install because the computer has RST technology. I got the error message from Ubuntu, and followed the instructions which were essentially making some changes to the Registry, and going into the BIOS to put the system into SATA or AHCI mode.

Problem is that I cannot ever get to where I can change this BIOS. I think I found a way to disable the RST, but the SATA mode is still greyed out.

Any suggestions?

TADA!

Figured it out!

So what the RST technology is, is basically a regular SATA hard drive that has a extra intel octane chip which works with the hard drive and somehow speeds it up. Basically your computer thinks that you have two hard drives it needs to work.

Linux will not install with this abomination in place.

After following the ubuntu instructions, and banging my head against the wall, I got brave, opened the box up and was able to locate the chip and pull it out, and now Linux is installing!

3 Likes

Shame on me. I just saw this one today - that we don’t have much of a storm at support. Well done!

is that really the only way? My laptop with optane is less than a year old - I would hate open the box to attempt this and brick my machine. maybe I will update things one last time and just remove my windows machine from the Internet. I have 3 systems converted [2 laptops and a tower]. @vasileios this tower is the machine I want to convert to a server that we spoke about last weekend. right now, it has MATE and I am going to try a dual boot with Mate and Cinnamon - is this possible? Sorry for asking a question within the question. Off for MRI then breakfast then There Will Be Carnage!!

Cheers!!

I don’t have an Optane laptop, so I can’t offer much advice there. However, there appears to be a software workaround to it here:

This one displays the method to install Fedora, which should work for any other distro as well. In my personal opinion, it’s not going to be long before Linux catches up and addresses the issue.

Hypothetically, you can install the Cinnamon and the MATE desktop environment in a single distro run. I’m saying hypothetically because there is a conflict. That conflict is the “Cinnamon Settings” and the “MATE Settings” app. Both desktop environments are forks of Gnome 2. However, this doesn’t tend to be the case if your secondary desktop environment is in the Gnome 3 (or now 4) category. Also, have you tried KDE at all? It tends to play well alongside other environments.

I don’t have an Optane laptop, so I can’t offer much advice there. However, there appears to be a software workaround to it here:

stevescargall.com

How to Boot Linux from Intel® Optane™ Persistent Memory – Steve Scargall

This one displays the method to install Fedora, which should work for any other distro as well. In my personal opinion, it’s not going to be long before Linux catches up and addresses the issue.

I will try that - I will find a place to download it and try it out. The optane instructions look as if they are assuming that nothing is on the machine already. I am not sure how to get a terminal window to type in the optane memory instructions that apear to be writen for Linux (sudo, etc). I will take a look at it again and then look at maybe doing this a different way on the laptop that has the optane system.

The Optane system is a silent way of Big-Tech telling us “Stay with WindowZzz…”!

1 Like

:rofl: that is, to quote Metallica, Sad but True!!!

2 Likes