Replacing Windows 10 w/ _____ distro on my Microsoft Surface 2 Laptop

Wondering what Linux distro you all would recommend for a Microsoft Surface 2 Laptop that’s currently running Windows 10? Primarily use it for a general web surfing laptop, attending online college classes, paying bills, etc. I have a mid-2011 iMac all-in-one desktop that currently runs Ubuntu. Are there any Ubuntu users out there that also have experience with Lubuntu on a laptop? If so, what are your thoughts on the distro?

I’m open to any suggestions anyone has. Thanks!

PQ

1 Like

Welcome to da club! I’m writing this from an Ubuntu-running Surface Laptop 3. :slight_smile:

First and foremost, just to be on the safe side, make sure you have an extra keyboard and a mouse before you begin. Neither my keyboard or my touchpad worked during the installation, so those will come in handy.

After that, it’s a matter of Kernel. If you select a distro that has Kernel 5.12 or above, then the support for keyboard and touchpad will be active by default and you will not need a patched kernel. I’d recommend going for Kubuntu and using the patched version, which is what I’m doing. This runs on the latest Kernel and it functions quite well.

I take it you’re familiar with the Linux installation? If yes, please let me know once you’re done so that I can point you to the steps to patch your Kernel. Once it’s done the first time, then all updates become automatic and you won’t have to worry about it later. :slight_smile:

Just make sure you back up all your files from your laptop first!

1 Like

Thanks for the advice!

So, I’ve got Kubuntu set up in Virtual Box so I can check it out over the next few days. I’ve got some time off from work coming up later this weekend/early next week. If I like it, I’ll install. Maybe I’ll try to make a video of it and post it (if possible; not sure of forum permissions). Either way, I’ll keep you all in the know.

Thanks again, vasileios!

My pleasure, @PatriotsQuest!
Since the Forum doesn’t directly support videos - at the moment - I would recommend creating an account at a video hosting platform (Odysee is cool, but you’ll need to browse around it a bit to gain tokens that allow you to upload). :slight_smile:

1 Like