Really OLD computers

Hi everyone … question?

how old is too old to convert a computer to Linux? I have some pre-Windows desk tops that worked great on DOS but have been in the attic forever. I was wondering if I could set them up for a “specific” purpose. I remember Will saying something about having completely closed loop systems at his farm. ???

1 Like

I started running Linux Slackware on MS-Dos PCs way back when, without Windows at the time. I was doing some ham radio stuff, Packet Radio (connecting my computer to a radio and sending messages digitally over the air) and we had a BBS (bulletin board system). Before that I had Apple 8Bit machines like the ][+, //e and similar. Never ran linux on those, but we ran some BASIC programs that emulated UNIX machines. I also ran BBSes (dial up) back in the 1980s, and built my first computer in the 1970s from parts.

So it IS possible to use older machines for specific things. I am GUESSING that your old machine is so old it has floppies on it still? IF SO, then as long as it boots up, you certainly can run something. Check out this link for an example:

and also:

http://www.slackware.com/install/bootdisk.php

2 Likes

thank you … I can see I will be spending a LOT of time in my computer room(s) for awhile … :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes