Random Questions - Display

Is there a source in the OS for random questions like adjusting the brightness of the display? When I first installed Mint, there were questions about that but when I attempted the adjustments, it didn’t make a difference. I’ve searched through all the display options I can find, appearance, etc. and can’t find it. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thank you!

The answer is to click the Battery icon!

2 Likes

Or use your laptop’s (provided you’re on one) brightness keys.

I tried the brightness keys and there was no change. Is it required to press and hold Shift, Ctrl, or Alt to use those? I’ve been out of the computer loop for awhile so some of the basic things are escaping me.

Many laptops have an extra key called FN. In the newer models it activates the F1-F12 keys. In the older models, it’s the opposite - it deactivates them so that you can access the additional functions, such as brightness change, volume change, media playback etc. :slight_smile:

Mine DOES have an Fn key. That solved it! Thank you so much for helping me learn. I hope to do the same for others one day! I’m usually one to experiment but I’m still intimidated with this new platform. I’m afraid of messing something up.

1 Like

Experimenting is the best way to learn! It doesn’t matter if you mess something up, as long as your important files are backed up. So, fear not - as fear only comes from the unknown. And fear is gone once this unknown becomes known! :wink:

And, as always, it’s my pleasure to be able to help! :smiley:

1 Like

I am booting Linux Mint from a USB on a Toshiba laptop from 2012. While it is booting, the display is bright as normal, but once on the LM desktop, the screen is extremely dim. I can barely find the mouse pointer, and have a tough time reading icons or menus. I have played with the brightness settings (FN+F7 on this laptop), with no change up or down. I also tried booted Ubuntu from USB and had the same issue. I am hesitant to do a full install until I have a good idea on how this can be rectified. Will it be as simple as having the drivers installed during the OS install?

Edit: This laptop is not connected to the internet currently, but will be if/when I do the actual install.

Thank you.

Hello @BG76 and welcome to the forums!
Unlike the older laptops, where you had to press FN+F keys to initiate the additional functionalities, I believe in the post-2010 ones, the operation of the FN key was reversed (though some companies implemented it later). Try to tap on your F keys without pressing the FN button and see if that works.

Thanks for the response. That also did not work. When I use the FN key and the F key, I can see the screen brightness bar pop up and it is at 100. I was also playing around and was able to get to the screen brightness setting through the power settings. The brightness is at 100% there as well.

You are very welcome!
The screen brightness can be a communication bug between the laptop and the OS. I had it happen to me a few times on my Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 running Microsoft Windows 10! This can be usually resolved via a reboot.

Additionally, when you run the Live version of Linux Mint, Ubuntu, or any other, the OS boots with the default Kernel values. One thing to remember is that the Kernel itself is the main “holder” of all the drivers. It either holds them within its core or loads them as modules. Once you install the system, the Kernel gets properly configured to match your system as best as possible.

If you have fully backed up your laptop and you have nothing to lose, you can proceed with an installation and see how it works. Unless this is your working machine. Personally, I have not encountered any issues with Linux and any laptop so far. Though my tests have been mostly on Sony and HP.

Very good. This is an old unused laptop, so nothing to lose really. I will go ahead with the install and we will see what happens. Thanks again.

1 Like

Don’t mention it. It’s my pleasure! :blush: