Putting ubuntu on usb to put on macbook air 08

i remember seeing others say with old macs they had to tinker at this stage. took notes but i have SO many notes these days :slight_smile:

it’s still showing only the macintosh HD :frowning:

Okay, sounds like its a formatting issue. Are you using a Mac to make the USB? Or do you have a Windows computer that you’re doing that on?

yes have a macbookair 2014 i prepared the usb on. i’m writing you from it.
will it help if i do screenshots of the disk utility screens? or should i go in the terminal and look at the usb?

Okay, we’re getting into new territory on my part. I’ve only ever used Balena Etcher and Rufus. Etcher won’t let you change the format of the USB, and Rufus only works on Windows. I’m having to brush up on some other programs that you could use. Bear with me a moment!

i just looked at terminal, see below. i may not have done etcher > ubuntu properly?

Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 11.38.36 PM

So I thought I saw something else similar here on the forums. I found this little tip:

If you can get a hold of a blank DVD and burn the Linux Mint iso to it, that might be your best bet. I’m reading that older Macbooks won’t recognize USBs as a boot option.

really? no one says that. esp not ubuntu website. i’m now stuck in terminal trying to erase the usb because i think i may not have done the etcher > ubuntu part properly. it’s only showing Apple-HFS etc

also, if it’s of interest. this is a webpage i found for erasing stubborn usb’s

Okay, well let me know if you get anywhere with that. We can keep the DVD option as a backup, just in case! :wink:

that’s kind of you. i can’t tell if i’ve done anything wrong with the etcher n ubuntu stuff on usb. i followed instructions but i don’t see ubuntu listed on the usb. now i can’t seem to erase the usb.

i don’t know how i can create a dvd because my macbook 2014 doesn’t have a dvd slot.

i don’t know what to do. i’m seriously stuck here.

If the Macbook you’re trying to install Ubuntu on has a disc drive in it, you could use that to make the DVD.

catch 22. i can’t access internet from that computer. i can’t access ubuntu website on that computer. i tried that last month when i spent 4pm to 4am trying to figure this out. :slight_smile: gotta laugh but frustrating.

Catch 23: if you have a working USB, you can download and put Ubuntu on it using your 2014, then use that USB to transfer the Ubuntu iso to the 2008 and then burn the disk. :wink:

i think i’m doing somthing wrong with etcher and ubuntu. i just looked at usb and all it has on it is etcher and a shortcut to my applications folder - ?

creative solution. i like your thinking :slight_smile: problem is: ME lol i think i’m screwing up the etcher / ubuntu part. i don’t know what i’m doing wrong. following all instructions

The thing that makes me think that it’s not you, is that Etcher is an incredibly simple program. You’d have to actively try to make it mess up. And I don’t think you’re doing that.

you’re being wonderfully kind. I just posted for you to see what the usb looks like. is it supposed to look like that? just etcher?

Maybe? Lol

Different systems will read names of devices in different ways.

The only thing that is questionable to me is the disk size. Makes me think that the balenaEtcher application is mounted as a disc image.

The USB probably won’t show up in Finder because it is not a format that Finder recognizes as a usable drive. Like one you’d use for storing files and whatnot.

1 Like

you’ve been amazing and very supportive. i always appreciate your comments and tips in the TE chats. i think i’m calling it a night. i don’t know what i’ll do. i’ve followed all of the instructions to the letter. perhaps tomorrow i’ll try again. THANK YOU!!! i hope i can guide you sometime somehow! WWG1WGA :slight_smile: take good care.