Problems during cinnamon startup

I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon on a 2011 MacBook Pro about a week ago. It was starting up fine until a couple days ago and now the startup is slow and I get a message that there are problems during startup. I’ll posted a photo of the message and the log. If the looking glass is important, I don’t know where to find it.

Hey @pathey!
I believe that the warning you’re getting is more related to the PCM device - as the other are not the troublesome ones.
The gkr-pam is an informational one. It simply says that the gnome-keyring (which stores your passwords) starts earlier during system boot, before the OS starts the other services. Thus, it is not something that should worry you.
The bgscan I believe is related to the WPA_Supplicant, which is a terminal application to manage and run WiFi connectivity when Network Manager is not available. Those two never really like each other.
There are a few solutions that may help with such error messages. Try to open up a terminal and execute the following commands. They will - at least - get rid of the errors you’re getting:

sudo sed -i /kwallet/s/^/#/ /etc/pam.d/lightdm
sudo sed -i /kwallet/s/^/#/ /etc/pam.d/lightdm-greeter
sudo apt purge --autoremove ntp ntpdate

And try to see if you’re receiving the same error messages. :slight_smile:

Thank you! I really need to take the class, but my day job demands kept me from registering.

I tried the code you suggested, unfortunately made some typos, reentered, restarted, and still getting error message

I couldn’t reach the system log, but played around and got this

I understand and no worries!
By the way, you can always copy/paste the code directly from the forum and into your terminal.

Also, if there is an actual issue or a warning, you can see it via the following command:

journalctl -xe

Can you copy/paste its output here?

Yes. . .

– The unit packagekit.service has successfully entered the ‘dead’ state.
Apr 16 19:10:56 linux-MacBookPro org.cinnamon.ScreenSaver[8005]: Trying to connect to logind…
Apr 16 19:10:56 linux-MacBookPro org.cinnamon.ScreenSaver[8005]: Starting screensaver…
Apr 16 19:10:56 linux-MacBookPro org.cinnamon.ScreenSaver[8005]: Cinnamon Screensaver support not found in current>
Apr 16 19:10:56 linux-MacBookPro org.cinnamon.ScreenSaver[8005]: Failed to connect to Cinnamon - screensaver will >
Apr 16 19:10:56 linux-MacBookPro org.cinnamon.ScreenSaver[8005]: Failed to connect to session manager - idle detec>
Apr 16 19:10:56 linux-MacBookPro org.cinnamon.ScreenSaver[8005]: Failed to connect to the keybinding handler - med>
Apr 16 19:10:56 linux-MacBookPro org.cinnamon.ScreenSaver[8005]: Successfully using logind
Apr 16 19:10:56 linux-MacBookPro org.cinnamon.ScreenSaver[8005]: Error in sys.excepthook:
Apr 16 19:10:56 linux-MacBookPro org.cinnamon.ScreenSaver[8005]: Original exception was:
Apr 16 19:10:56 linux-MacBookPro org.cinnamon.ScreenSaver[8005]: Error in sys.excepthook:
Apr 16 19:10:56 linux-MacBookPro org.cinnamon.ScreenSaver[8005]: Original exception was:
Apr 16 19:11:51 linux-MacBookPro dbus-daemon[2793]: [session uid=1000 pid=2793] Activating service name='org.freed>
Apr 16 19:11:52 linux-MacBookPro dbus-daemon[2793]: [session uid=1000 pid=2793] Successfully activated service 'or>
Apr 16 19:11:52 linux-MacBookPro dbus-daemon[2793]: [session uid=1000 pid=2793] Activating service name='org.mate.>
Apr 16 19:11:52 linux-MacBookPro mate-screensave[8082]: Failed to get session presence proxy: Could not get owner >
Apr 16 19:11:56 linux-MacBookPro dbus-daemon[2793]: [session uid=1000 pid=2793] Successfully activated service 'or>
Apr 16 19:13:28 linux-MacBookPro dbus-daemon[2793]: [session uid=1000 pid=2793] Activating via systemd: service na>
Apr 16 19:13:29 linux-MacBookPro dbus-daemon[2793]: [session uid=1000 pid=2793] Successfully activated service 'or>
Apr 16 19:13:32 linux-MacBookPro gnome-terminal-[8111]: g_menu_insert_item: assertion ‘G_IS_MENU_ITEM (item)’ fail>
~

The only issue I’m seeing is that it cannot connect to the screensaver service. Can you please send me the output of the following command:

cinnamon-screensaver --debug

Let’s see if it’s working or if we need to disable it (or see how it can be fixed).

@vasileios sounds good. the results
linuxsjk@linux-MacBookPro:~$ cinnamon-screensaver --debug
Trying to connect to logind…
Starting screensaver…
Debug mode active
Cinnamon Screensaver support not found in current theme - adding some…
service: ‘GetActive’ received, poking application.
org.gnome.ScreenSaver is gone from the session bus
org.mate.ScreenSaver is gone from the session bus
service: ‘GetActive’ received, poking application.
login client: found session path for user ‘linuxsjk’ (session_id: c2): /org/freedesktop/login1/session/c2
Successfully using logind

Hey @pathey!
From what I see, there isn’t any actual issue, more like an annoyance. When you select to lock your screen, does it work properly?

The lock screen does work to suspend and then log in to open it again. The error message and slow start are just an annoyance. Do you think a different distro would work better? I tried cinnamon first, but wondering if a lighter version of mint might work better on this old 2011 macbook pro. Reviving this old machine is liberating. I installed Brave and playing around here. I’m making a Ubuntu Budgie stick, I have a 2011 imac that I plan to try with Ubuntu Budgie. There were linux updates that I installed the updates on here, but is acting the same.

Thanks for all your help, you’re the best. I will continue to learn and experiment.

Hey @pathey!
The way things are going, it will only spell joy for you! The reason you’re experiencing this annoyance is because of the relatively old Kernel (version 5.4) that Mint has. With the new release of Ubuntu, which has the 5.15 Kernel, there’s a myriad more modules available that will make your life so much easier. Thus, I believe that the new Ubuntu Budgie 22.04 will be great for you.

I’m currently running Arch Linux on a MacBook Air 2013 and it’s doing awesome! So, once you get a newer Kernel onboard, you’ll be happy as a bee!

If you ever encounter any issues, shoot them my way and we’ll get things done!

And you are very welcome!

Hi everyone. Just $0.02 worth. I’ve been experimenting with a 15" MBP 2011 for about 6 months now and have found that there is a difference in the distros offered now and what was offered back when I started. It would run most distros that I would throw at it. It’s i7, 8Gb RAM and 480Gb SSD. Now, last week, I have had trouble finding distros to work on it. I have a list of what wouldn’t work on it. I did get Mint and Ubuntu, latest versions to work in dual boot but as Vasileios knows, my grub is mysteriously invisible. I increased the memory last week to 16Gb. This old chunk of aluminum still flies with either distro. Quick ending…some of the distros that just wouldn’t work…usually hang on boot to live usb…are much lighter than what ended up working. Not that it’s a lightweight but even Manjaro wouldn’t go past “Installing Manjaro”. For the record, I had been running Ubuntu Studio on it with Mint as dual boot. After wiping last week I installed Studio again. Not exactly a lightweight. Works perfectly. I don’t think our problem is light or heavy. Puzzling tho.

@GrillerMiller Thank you for taking the time to comment. Your insight is very helpful. I’m trying Ubuntu Budgie 22.04

Hey @GrillerMiller!
When the boot sector fails, there’s always the rEFInd boot-loader. This has resolved many boot issues for a lot of people. Thus far, my MacBook Air (2013) hasn’t given me such issues with any distro. I’ve found that Arch with Gnome runs amazingly well.

1 Like

Boot sector failure. Very interesting. Reminds me of my TSTC days where my DoS instructor gave me extra credit for rescuing a box of old hard drives that another student wasn’t able to recover a few semesters before. I believe it was fdisk mbr. Moves the boot strap from the inside to the outside of the spinning disk.
Only I had changed the 480G for a 1T SSD yesterday morning and reinstalled Mint and Ubuntu. And still with the invisible grub. I’ll try the Grub Customizer app you mention in the other thread.
Thanks again my friend!

1 Like

Well, I was already here and picked up the MBP and went ahead and installed rEFInd. Works great and nice UI. Thanks again!

1 Like

Hey @GrillerMiller!
I’m truly happy this worked out for you! REFInd is a life-saver in the cases where the boot-sector is playing tricks on a Mac. Now you can finally enjoy your Digital Freedom! Bravo!

1 Like