Problem loading drivers and programs

it has returned
total 264144
-rw-rw-r-- l pkd pkd 270479241 Oct 4 20:06 NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-470.74.run
pkd@pkd-HPPavillion-laptop-15-ccixx:~Downloads$

Does this look correct? Do I use the line chmod +x ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-470.74.run ?? I haven’t been asked about building a DKMS modules.

Yes. That looks good! You’ll get the DKMS request once you start the installation. I trust you installed the DKMS earlier.

So, yes, continue with the chmod and take it from there. :slight_smile:

Error: nvidia-installer must be run as root (OK)
is on screen with a blue line across the middle of screen
when I press ok does it continue or does this cause another problem??

back to the earlier prompt with ~/Downloads
I don’t know how to make it a root

The process did not work in the end. The driver didn’t load because of an error. nvidia installer must be run as root. I have no idea how to do that. When the error came up it prompted me to say ok. I did and it returned back to the ~Downloads$ prompt. Any ideas how to get it to be a root?

Type in:

sudo su

That will turn you into root.

Have another error.
ERROR: The installation was canceled due to the availability or presence of an alternate driver installation. Please see /var/log/nvidia-installer.log for more details.

Were you able to remove the Mint driver prior to this installation?
If yes, then try running this installer again, but in the end type:

--remove

or

--uninstall

I don’t remember how it’s worded exactly - though it can give you the options when you run it and at the end you type:

--help

I never attempted to remove the mint driver prior. I verified that the Nvidia driver was not in use and the free and open was still installed. I really don’t know how to do what you suggested. Do we go back into the regular mint or stay here where we are and run this command --remove or --uninstall? Do we need to tell it what to uninstall? --remove /var/log/nvidia-installer.log or some variation of this??

In that case, you can boot back to Mint, open up a terminal window, and type in the following:

sudo apt purge nvidia*

Then everything will be - officially - removed!

At that point, you can return to the terminal, RunLevel 3 stage you’re in now, and try again.

Sounds like a plan, getting late now so I will have a another try in the morning! Thanks for all the help and sticking with me! It will be nice when I can finally get something to load without an error. . .to be continued!!

1 Like

We’ll get it done! I’ve been in your shoes before, so I know very well how to handle this. :wink:

1 Like

Well shoot. . . It gave me the same message about canceled installation due to availability or presence of an alternate driver installation, Please see /var/log/nvidia-installer.log for more details. I ran the sudo apt purge nvidia* to no avail. hmmmm…

When in RunLevel 3 (and root mode), type in:

cd ~/Downloads
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-470.74.run --uninstall

And see if that clears out the previous installation attempt.

I don’t know what went wrong but it now says the Nouveau driver is currently in use by your system. This driver is incompatible with the NVIDIA driver, and must be disabled before proceeding.
Soooo the disable part we did originally, is that something that could revert on its own?? do we just go back to mint and toggle it again or is there a way of doing it here?

and I clicked ok and it gave me this message:
For some distributions, Nouveau an be diabled by adding a file in the modprobe configuration directory. Would you like nvidia-installer to attempt to creat this modproble file for you?
should I say yes or no??

Here’s another option for black-listing (they keep on shifting back and forth, lately):
Open up a terminal from within Mint and type:

sudo xed /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

If it appears to be empty, don’t worry. Add the following lines:

blacklist nouveau
blacklist vga16fb
blacklist rivafb
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist rivatv

Then save and exit back to the terminal and type:

sudo update-initramfs -u

This should do it and nouveau will be out of the way.

warning: unable to determine the path to install the libglvnd EGL vendor library config files. Check that you have pkg-config and the libglvnd developement libraries installed, or specify a path with --glvnd-egl-config-path.
so I guess i press ok and watch the giant mushroom cloud come out the keyboard? lol
what do i do now??

I hit OK and well son of gun, it finished installing!! I am back in mint!!! So is there anything I need to clean up in the wake of this process? Any house cleaning due to all the excitement of arm wrestling the HP environment etc. . . ??? any tests to perform to make sure all is well?
I have never been here before. . .you know, it worked and now time for next challenge. . . I am usually reinstalling the whole darn thing!

Hey @Paul ! You didn’t hit respond under my post and I wasn’t notified early enough! LOL

For now, there is no catastrophe you will need to face. Worst-case scenario, you can wait until the next version of NVidia production drivers are out and repeat the process. Until then, I believe you are fine!