Problem Installing Ubuntu on an older iMac w/ Wireless Logitech Keyboard/Mouse

Trying to install Ubuntu this evening on my mother-in-law’s old iMac that my wife has had for a few years; no longer update supported. I flashed a thumb drive with the Ubuntu LTS using Balena Etcher. I’m also using a new wireless Logitech Comfort Wave Keyboard/Mouse combo that is otherwise working fine on the Mac OS (made sure to identify keyboard w/ the system). As this keyboard is slightly different in keyboard configuration than a regular iMac keyboard, I had to go into the keyboard settings and assign the Windows key as the Option key (in Mac OS) so that I could attempt to boot into the Boot Menu). I ejected the USB, sys shutdown, reinserted USB, and immediately pressed & held the Option key (reassigned Windows key) and attempted to go into Boot Menu. I did this 3 or 4 times to no avail.

I then scurried the internet for a solution. I found a couple older suggestions w/ other Logitech keyboards that suggested moving the keyboard/mouse USB receiver to the USB port closest to the middle of the iMac. Still no success.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions? It would be much appreciated.

PQ

PROBLEM SOLVED.

I went back into keyboard settings (“Modified”) and reset to default. I then used the “Alt” key (pressed down) at start-up and booted right into the Boot Menu. Apparently I never had to reassign a key on my Logitech keyboard as the “Option”. It was already the “Alt” key.

Installing Ubuntu Linux OS on our older iMac right now! Woo-hoo!!!

3 Likes

Glad you got that figured out! Let us know if you need any help with anything else!

1 Like

Up and running! Thanks and will do.

PQ

2 Likes

Just a test message, nothing to see here I am just getting familiar with the forum and messaging

3 Likes