Password: root vs login & how to turn off just login

Hey folks! I’ve got questions about the password(s) on Linux Mint (Cinnamon). My issue is that I don’t want to have to type a password in every time I come back to my computer throughout the day. I searched and found how to turn the password off, but then I remembered reading about the “root” password and how that’s part of security.

So, my question is, is the login password the same as the root password? I think it is–because I use the same one when I’m logging in and when I’m in the Terminal–but I want to be sure. If it is the same, is it okay to turn it off and still be secure? If it’s a different password and it’s safe to turn off just the login password, how do I go about doing that?

Thanks so much!! :blush:
Hannah

2 Likes

I hope you find out because I’m having a similar issue with “root” passwords. I’ll be watching to see what you learn!

1 Like

Yes, if you eliminate your password, someone can sudo the life out of your system! So, please keep your password as complex and secure as possible.

Then, you can trigger the password-less entry by making your user part of the “nopassword” group. Go to users in your settings and follow the image below. :blush:

Basically, simply check the group I rounded.

3 Likes

Ohh, my goodness. This is exactly what I needed! Thank you a million times over.

1 Like

Awesome! Glad to be of assistance! :smiley:
Enjoy!

1 Like

I believe what she was asking was that if he disables the password reqs for lock screen/resume/DE login/sleep/hibernate etc will it also disable roots password if he uses the same. Now if I misunderstood her query and disabling pass reqs in user/groups sorry, @vasileios would be correct.

No. I use this setup myself ALL the time. I hate reentering my password all the time.

However when I enter a terminal and I do a sudo, I am ALWAYS asked for sudo password(except that I set my timeout for like 10000 minutes LOL) and the same goes for installing packages with gdebi that require root perms, you will still have to authenticate with your root(sudoer) password.

Does that clear up the confusion?

1 Like

Issue was brought to chat, resolved with switching to a tty with ctrl+alt+F2, login, sudo gpassword -d youruser nopasswdlogin

I had to interrupt her help but she was successful at the next attempted login.

nopasswdlogin in Mint seems to be deprecated/obsolete and should not be used. If you don’t want to type a login password, use autologin from user config, this will NOT affect your having to provide sudo a password to elevate your privileges anywhere else.

2 Likes

Hey @lizzie24!
What is it that happens when you click on the LogIn window?

1 Like

Hey @vasileios
We got her fixed in that chat just as I was heading to dinner Sat

2 Likes

How do I do this in Kubuntu?

1 Like

@idahopoes are you having an issue logging in with a loop a well or just wanting to auto login with your user?

1 Like

That is awesome! Thank you so much!
After the LMS course, I had a lot of catching up to do off-screen. Thankfully, I’m back now!

1 Like