Old ASUS R1F Series - can this be used for Linux?

I have an old (probably 2008) ASUS R1F Series laptop. It currently runs Windows 7 Pro and has Intel Core Duo T7200 2.00 GHz, 2.00 GB RAM, 120 GB HD. It is 32-bit though. It needs a new battery (completely dead - only runs when plugged in).

Can this be used for a Linux install? I know it will probably run slow and is ancient, but wondering if it’s a good place to start?

Also - any idea where a battery can be purchased or is it even worth it?

Thanks!

Hi Kelly. There are some options for 32 bit distros available, but most of them are either not going to be supported at some point this year. I believe Debian still has a 32 bit version that is still supported for some time, but not sure what specifications are needed. I did have some success installing it on an OLD Gateway 32 bit laptop that was running Windows XP. But it was a pain and it runs realy slow. The battery in that is also shot, but the cheapest one I found was $92, definitely not worth it.
As for a battery for yours, check eBay fir usu
ally if ebay doesnt have one, you can find it elsewhere,but, they will have the cheapest if its available.
If your not worried about support and just want to check out some distrosI believe there is a Linux Mint 19 32 bit and Bodhi Linux 32 bit that are pretty beginner friendly.
Kat

1 Like

Tips for 32bit with those specs.
Try to keep your DE lightweight, such as Xfce, Lxde.
I’m a big fan of Debian, all of my systems currently run Bullseye, Bullseye still supports 32bit, Xfce is their default desktop.
Devaun Linux is Debian Bullseye without systemd utilizing sysvinit instead. very snappy and of course it utilizes the Xfce desktop by default as well.

If you decide on the biggest one, Debian, utilize a Ethernet cable for install.

HTH

1 Like

32 bit MX Linux works great on my 2007 and 2008 Laptops. It is the only one that worked like it should without some type of problems. It is am XFCE verssion.

2 Likes

My Wife’s Acer has the Intel Core Duo T5250 with 2gb ram and had Vista… was the 2nd laptop that I switched to Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 … and at first I tried running a live 32-bit session before I installed…( thought it was 32-bit, so I took the time to download and flash the jump-drive) the results did not seem to pan out…worked … but was slow and sluggish … so I shut it down and rebooted with the 64-bit jump-drive from my first install on my Father’s old Dell … and it booted right up and worked much better than the 32-bit … so I went ahead and install it … That was in December of 2019 …been running fine ever since … and I don’t know why… at the time I thought “Duo” implied Two processors so maybe it was 64- bit instead of what it was labeled… I threw the 32-bit jump-drive in the desk drawer and never did use it for any other install… and My Wife doesn’t even know that Linux Mint Cinnamon is up to 21 now… I don’t try to fix her “lean, mean, Bible-Studying” machine cause after I got it all set up for her she love it … and doesn’t want me to break it like I’m always doing to my laptops… maybe try a 64-bit if 32 don’t seem right?

So after posting this I went and turned on Her laptop … (she’s still sleeping … no worries) and copied the info …

looked it up … it was built in 2008 …

2 Likes

I have an old ASUS EeePC 1001P with the little Indian that supports both 32 and 64bit.

It performed much better on 64bit as well with just a 1.6GHz an 1GB of ram.

Honestly can’t remember the year of it but that time frame seems about right, mid to late 2000’s.

1 Like

Funny thing was … it said on the box it came in, … that “Visa Home Pro” windoze 32-bit was pre installed… I wonder if maybe this was a case of the hardware being ahead and msdoze playing catch up …? :thinking:

2 Likes