Non-carrier based mobile communications

Not sure this is the right place for this question but here goes. Since privacy is the primary goal of switching from Windows to Linux, what can be done to maintain mobile communications privacy? Are there non-carrier dependent mobile communications options, e.g., Ham, satellite, carrier pigeon, others, etc., that would free us of dependence on their system of control? With or without the Internet. Looking for creative ideas and options. I hate the idea that my location and communications are continuously monitored via my cell phone! Thanks.

2 Likes

This seems like a great starting point that I’m looking into:

Also Matrix clients such as element:

I hope this gets the discussion started.

Ham radio looks like it could be very helpful, and the equipment investment may not be huge, though I think you need a fairly long antenna mounted on your roof. May be available for mobile too as I’ve seen the tall antennas on vehicles as well. But in the U.S. the FCC (Federal Communications Commission, government agency) ‘requires’ Ham operators to have a license, so there’s no anonymity there.

Satellite phones are available, but are pretty expensive I think. But there too it’s a service that’s probably going to require some level of registration and possibly tracking (?). There’s also Starlink (Elon Musk satellite internet), again not a cheap option, and may have the same issues.

I’ve heard some good things about Mesh networks (as noted above), so there may be something promising there.

1 Like