"no suitable destination host found by cups-browsed"

Hi, I was having a problem with not printing and I received the message “no suitable destination host found by cups-browsed”, and after deleting the printer from my computer using Linux Mint 20.3, I rebooted hoping that I could reinstall the printer and get it working again, however when trying to add a printer and it finding the driver for it I tied to install and get a message asking for a username and password. However none of the usernames and passwords I try are working. Can anyone tell me which username and password this is asking for?
Thanks

When you are trying to add a printer in Linux Mint, the system may prompt you for authentication in order to complete the installation process. This authentication prompt is asking for the username and password of a user account with administrative privileges on the system.

By default, the first user created during the installation of Linux Mint is given administrative privileges, so you should try entering the username and password of that user. If you are unsure of the username and password for that account, you can try using the username “root” and the password that you created during the installation of Linux Mint, as the root user typically has administrative privileges.

Thank you for the reply, I am using my user name and password and I am the only user on the computer. I am able to use my user name and password on this computer to do other things requiring administrative privileges so I know they work. I will give root a try and see what happens. thanks again for the help.

Using “root” didn’t work either still open for suggestions.

Are you being asked for a username and password, or for a password only? I’m guessing the latter, and it f that’s the case, enter your password in the dialog box.

The system is wanting to perform a task with elevated privilege. The “sudo” command is analogous to this.

If I’m barking up the wrong tree, my apology. :sunglasses: I’ve not seen a dialog box requesting both username and password, as it’s inherited my username.

Can you attach a screen grab?

1 Like