“No root file system is defined”

I have a HP 23-g010 that crashed a couple of years ago. (It came with windows 8.1) I had the hard drive replaced and the original recovery disks (from HP) will not install. There is currently no operating system on it. I drug it back out and am attempting to install Linux Mint Cinnamon. I can run Linux from the usb I created but during the install, I get the message: No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu. I press “Ok” and I have a install screen for installation type. Near the bottom, it shows device for boot loader installation: /dev/sda. When I click “change” I get the message: installer crashed. I’ve been messing with this for a week now and can’t install. Does anyone know what I need to do to this (empty) hard drive in order to bring this old machine back to life with Linux?

Hey @Mikeybob,
When you start Mint via the USB, can you run “Disks” from the Menu and send me a photo of the output window? Thank you!

It’ll have to be tomorrow when I’m back to that pc, thanks.

1 Like

ISSUE RESOLVED
I opened the pc and discovered the hard drive slightly mispositioned and unplugged. I repositioned it, closed the case and installed Linux. We’re good to go!!

1 Like

Awesome! Have lots of fun! :slight_smile: