No Boot from USB option in BIOS

Hi, trying to convert my next Win10 laptop to ubuntu but having trouble getting past first base. Can’t seem to add a boot from USB option in the BIOS. Only has
UEFI
WINDOWS boot manager
Disabled

Should be easy but can’t spot how to add this in. Is an AMI aptio setup utility. Will I have to abandon this one? No CD.

Same here. No matter what Wind os reverts me back and won’t let me boot or load the flash drive.
I keep watching the videos they recommend.

Welcome Marcus,
is there an option anywhere in your BIOS to enable legacy and disable secure boot? That would be what I would look for. I went round and round with my BIOS until I found that option. Not an expert by any means but if those options are not available let us know cuz the admins here ROCK :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: Cheers!

2 Likes

Welcome CK,
is there an option anywhere in your BIOS to enable legacy and disable secure boot? That would be what I would look for. I went round and round with my BIOS until I found that option. Not an expert by any means but if those options are not available let us know cuz the admins here ROCK :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: Cheers!

2 Likes

CK … Like BigDave said Look for Legacy. My Dell has Legacy and UEFI Enable legacy and disable secure boot. I didn’t re enable security boot. Not sure if I should? Also after install of Ubuntu I changed back to UEFI.

1 Like

@rmary my dell was the same way - I had to just go UEFI and everything was hunky dory.

2 Likes

I agree with what @BigDaveAZ said. Once you enter your BIOS (that can be a different set of keys, which you can find on the website of your system’s manufacturer), make sure you disable Secure Boot, clear the Keys, and at the Boot panel, select your USB to be the first in line. :slight_smile:

Thanks Big Dave, can disable secure boot, but cant find anything along the lines of enable legacy usb. Have managed to get the bios to see the usb devices I am trying to boot from but still cant get it to actually boot to, despite putting the usb devices in the boot order and disabling other boot options, still just proceeds through to Win10. This one seems like it should be simple but is proving a tough nut to crack.

@Marcus on my dell when you disable secure boot you can then enable legacy. There is also an option for boot menu where I was able to pick the usb to boot from - you may need to have legacy enabled to see the usb, though.

1 Like

Yes, why is there Legacy and UEFI? And I read where Ubuntu likes UEFI? When I get my 9 month old Dell back from being fixed Im going to see what BIOS is on it.

@rmary - if you look above you will see that I was having issues with the install of ubuntu server - I enabled UEFI and chose the USB drive and BAM! it worked. @vasileios is a champ.

2 Likes

Yes agree with you. I had problem with Ubuntu OS. Now it’s perfect. @vasileios is a champ and patient LOL :laughing: This forum is great, such nice people.

1 Like

Thank you so much for kind words @BigDaveAZ and @rmary!
I am truly happy you got through it!

And yes, this forum is beautiful and peaceful where you can browse, ask, and participate at your own leisure. :slight_smile:

Makes perfect sense but not working for me, think I will abandon that one and find an alternative device to install on so it does not drive me up the wall, haha. Thanks for the reply.

Hey @Marcus!
What is the system model you’re trying to install Linux on? Also, did you go through the process of flashing the USB thumb drive? If yes, then which app did you use?

I apologize for the downpour of questions, but it will give me a good understanding. :slight_smile:

It is a cheap bargain bin laptop about 5 years old (very generic), cant remember the exact name of it will see if I can find markings etc. Yes have flashed the usb using that app called rufus. Works fine since my last post have just installed ubuntu with it on another device I just dusted off, older laptop from 2007, looking sweet so far.

That’s interesting, since the generic laptops tend to work best - as they don’t have big locks or any persistent “Stay-in-Windows” option. Alternatively, if you can take a couple of pictures of the BIOS (security tab & boot tab), that could help too. :slight_smile:

Few pics of BIOS screens as requested

Perfect, thank you! With Secure Boot disabled (and the keys cleared), you can go ahead and plug your USB in. I see you have already the USB setup on your boot priority, so this will work.

In case your USB still doesn’t work, we might need to try a different flash option. :slight_smile:

Thanks for not giving up on that yet @vasileios. Still just boots into win10 from there.
There is another odd screen though which is making me scratch my head, I wonder whether that is the culprit, see below. Don’t think I can change that though.