New to this - Error code with USB Downloads

Can you help me with formatting the USB in a way that I can install Linux Cinnamon on a MacBook Pro, 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core 17
16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Here’s what I’ve tried so far…
Formatted USB to Mac OS Extended (Journal) and downloaded:

• Etcher for MacOS
  • Linux Mint OS – Cinnamon 64-bit (which is same as Mac I’m trying to install Linux on)
  • Right Clicked on sha256sum.txt and sha256sum.txt.gpg and save link as and downloaded onto USB.

Files were saved as read only.

Reformatted USB to FAT32 ( a site said it works fine with Linux and Windows), and got a message:
“Volume in busy One or more applications are keeping the volume busy.
xdg-document-portal
/usr/libexec/edg-document-portal”

Cancel or eject anyway

I waited a while to see if it was a matter of a file that needed to continue to download, but no such luck.
I ejected anyway.

Next I watched another video on creating USB (from this site) with usbimager. Deletes previous downloads from USB and downloaded:

• USB Imager
  • Linux Mint Cinnamon

When I try to eject the USB I get the same message as before:

“Volume in busy One or more applications are keeping the volume busy.
xdg-document-portal
/usr/libexec/edg-document-portal”

I attempting to prep for replacing windows with Linux, by accessing the BIOS, no BIOS…I know also that Macs may not have a EFI. Not sure what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated…

You download the Linux Mint iso and the sha256sum files to the Mac correct?
If you do not know how to check the sha256sum then you can skip that step if necessary. But it is a very good tool to learn how to use.
You do not need to format the USB drive, use Etcher to “burn” your Linux Mint iso file to the USB drive.

Post back with questions if you have ny.

Thank you for reaching out! This was resolved through a different thread. I tried everything…there was some issue with Mac not recognizing the USB and someone helped me accomplish it in another way.

1 Like