Mint NAS w/PMS

Hello all,

I am playing with Mint on the latest Ubuntu LTS. I see there are specific distros for NAS OS’s.

Is there a NAS service or feature of Mint or can be installed, like FreeNAS. I’m going to repurpose a laptop w/external drives to run Plex and backup our personal data from around the house computers.

Thanks,
JB

@CaptnJB , I just wanted to let you know that there is an upcoming lesson on the LMS where @vasileios will be explaining exactly that. I have been pestering him for months - LOL. Cheers!!

1 Like

The NAS service/package? How do I get notified of that?

Thanks,
JB

Hey @CaptnJB!
The LMS is the subscription aspect of the Jeff.Pro channel. What I will be going through is the process of creating a Samba Server and a NextCloud, well… personal cloud. That will allow multiple accounts and syncing or backing up, regardless of the number of systems you have.

If you’re looking for a dedicated service otherwise, I believe TrueNAS was mentioned here more than once.

@CaptnJB @vasileios will be letting, at the very least, me, know when this is happening. We can always check with him to see if he can just drop a line on this post. I have been asking abou NAS and the possibility of using an older tower (or laptop) instead of buying an NAS for around $500 including drives. I believe he mentioned NextCloud but I could be mistaken. Cheers!!

1 Like

This is a demanding course, for which I’ll need to run several tests to ensure all features are enabled. Especially since NextCloud needs to be tied to a good database (other than SQLlite), so, it won’t be fast. :wink:

1 Like

@vasileios as long as it does what I need it to do, NAS with older equipment and FOSS. As always, YOU ROCK!!!

1 Like

Right now I’m in play mode. I’m gonna look at TruNAS too. I’ve got an old MediaSonic pro box I can load up with drives.

Thoughts, anyone?

JB

Hey @CaptnJB!
I haven’t tried MediaSonic personally, so I can’t attest to how it will work. However, from a short look on NewEgg, I see it’s a nice box to have. You could easily connect it to a system, if it doesn’t run an OS itself (Synology NAS runs on a light Linux version), then you can connect it via USB to another system and yes, use it as a server.

1 Like

Thanks guys! I’m gonna research Nextcloud.

I’ve backed up off line since Crashplan was around. I use iDrive now. However, I want it all local and I have the safe storage area for it now and the network to support it.

I have 2 windows PC (kids/school), iMac, MacBook both work. They dualboot to Linux Mint right now.

My next stop is the AmateurRadio area.

JB

3 Likes

I like UNRAID a lot. It’s stand-alone though. (Linux Based). I’ve heard Free-BSD with ZFS is good for NAS. I use my Mint Boxes for computer use & UNRAID for storage/backups.