Mate vs. Cinnamon?

I had a Rapsberry Pi with Ubuntu but decided to move over to a laptop. Found an older laptop on eBay that I purchased. I’m planning to install Linux Mint Mate or Cinnamon. I’ve read the download page of each with release notes and features, I’m still not sure which one would be best to download. Is there really a big difference between the two? Should I download one vs. the other since I will be installing on an older Dell Latitude E6430 machine? Thanks for any thoughts or advice anyone has :slight_smile:

Hey @dragonfly!
It all depends on the available RAM of your system. Cinnamon tends to be the most resource-hungry (though not as much as Gnome), while MATE is slightly lower, though not that much. If it’s speed you’re after, XFCE will work best for you.
If you need a combo of low resources, speed and flashiness, there is always KDE. :slight_smile:

Thank you @vasileios! It has 8 gb of Ram. Is that enough to run Mate or Cinnamon? If not, I will go with XFCE. :grinning:

8GB is great to run Cinnamon! At this point, it all comes down to what kind of OS you are used to. If that’s Windows, then Linux Mint Cinnamon will work great for you.

If you’re a Mac user, then Ubuntu Budgie will be the best option. :wink:

And you’re most welcome!

Ok great thank you!! I will be doing this tomorrow, I’m so excited! :partying_face:

1 Like