Mac Pro 2.8 (2008) Need advice on how to use this machine...server? desktop?

I have an old Mac Pro, around 2008. I am trying to decide what to do with it. The hardware on it is incredible, it has four disk drive bays. I am thinking of making this into a server for my home.

Its purpose would be to have a place for my backups and for an archive for old data, etc.

Could I make this into a “server” of my own?

I don’t want to connect it to the internet, but want to be able to have computers in my home be able to connect to it like a “network drive” like I have at work on a windows computer.

Would this work?

What would be the best version of Linux for this purpose?

Would a NAS be better?

Another thought after looking at the specks would be to make this into my everyday desktop for home.

Any instructions or thoughts on this would be awesome.

Thanks!

1 Like

Funny thing, I’m in the same boat. I have two of them. I want plex media server and use it as a NAS. What did you figure out? Linux on it should be pretty easy!

1 Like

Dang… I’ve been scrolling down and now I see your post @Nestling! I literally have no idea why I am not notified on new or unread posts.

The short answer is yes, you can do it. It also depends on its available RAM and the drive interface. I believe it will be faster than a simple NAS.

So, the questions are:

• How much RAM does it have?
  • What’s the maximum drive capacity supported?
  • Is its CPU an Intel one or a PowerPC?

One of the most stable and reliable distros I’ve used for a file server is the Debian one.