Ok, that seems to have gotten me into my home screen with full access!

Also, I did not have to enter my password.

Thank you Dennis!

That sounds good. Mess around a little to make sure things are working then reboot a time or two to make sure things are ok.

I will do that, and advise back here if this thread can be closed.

And thank @MrDeplorableUSA for his link that solved the issue.

Absolutely, I appreciate how the Linux community works that way. Thanks to all that advise anyone.

One last thing. After a bunch of updates and reboot, the same conditions existed with a loop. I was able to get back in as we did here and examine that change I mentioned where no log in password had been modified. Once I put that back to original state, I can now log in from the GUI with my password.

You could create another user account (different user name to be used in case of emergency) and leave it in pristine condition with a password login. If need be you could log in as the new user (that you set up hopefully months ago :slightly_smiling_face:) and work from the terminal there instead of having to edit the kernel line during GRUB boot.
From the ‘new user’ terminal just
su - [original_username]
The substitute user command will run as superuser if you do not specify a username. The hyphen sets you up with the environment for the substitute user instead of the user you are leaving.
In a terminal us
exit
to close out of the substitute user login.