Linux Phones Corner

hey guys…

another independent manufacturer is Volla Home

you can switch between ubuntu touch and and a volla os.

2 Likes

btw: i ordered one today. i took the ubuntu one, but you have the freedom to switch the os anytime between linux, google free android and back…^^ i will present you updates. :wink:

2 Likes

Hey all! I got an unlocked Google Pixel 3a from BackMarket.com and was about to dig in to installing Lineage OS on it when I bumped into things like “rooting voids warranty”, “if you make a mistake it can brick your device”, something about “No-GAPPS”, and Rob Braxman’s review of Lineage OS saying how it doesn’t stop Google from still triangulating your location to withing 6 feet using WIFI. Then I did some more searching to maybe do Linux OS instead. But the few “how to-s” I found were written for true geeks, which sadly I am not. :grimacing:

All that to say, I’m now wondering if anyone has done this before? If so, do you have have a link with a step by step guide? Things to be aware of? Advice on which OS to pick? So far I’ve heard of Pure OS, Clear OS, and Graphene OS.

Thanks so much! :slight_smile:

Edit: Now I’m seeing that that Rob Braxman video is 2 years old. And his site has him putting Lineage 18.1 on phones and selling them, so maybe Lineage is better now!

2 Likes

I’m new - hi - and Im curious, as I’m also looking for a new phone solution, whether phones like the G7 that have a built in face recognition tech, would still have that opportunity (running face recognition) if running Linux or Open OS, etc.

Can you share a link where he actually offers phones for sale? His social network link doesn’t list those services. THanks!

1 Like

Sure thing! It’s a tough one to find, so I’ve got it saved :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! fun link indeed. lol. Gotta register for his system to use the store - I see now - which might be why it’s not easily found? Dunno, but all good. Thank you!

1 Like

I’m preparing my computer to load CalyxOS onto my “new” pixel for de-googling. I used the terminal to install android-sdk-platform-tools-common. After I did that, I got this message saying that specified packages are no longer required. It said use ‘sudo apt autoremove’ to remove them. Is this something that I want to do?

I’ve downloaded the device flasher to install CalyxOS on my phone. The instructions say this " Open a terminal on your host computer, change to the directory where you saved device-flasher, and then run:

sha256sum device-flasher.linux

My question is how do I change to the directory where I saved the file? I know that “cd” is change directory but I don’t know what to enter after that. The file is in Home…Downloads…CalyxOS folder. Thanks for any help.

first type “pwd” without the quotes, to see the directory you are currently in. Then based on that you can do a cd Download or cd … to get back to the home directory - yourname or root, then cd Download. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Problem solved! Thank you!

Yes! Especially now. I just found out new phones will have front facing cameras always on. Im going to switch to linux as soon as I can.

1 Like

I lost the article to this, but did read a little about it. I’d be interested in learning which manufacturer is doing this. I personally would like to see if physically disconnecting the camera affects the operation of the rest of the device :rofl: :joy:
If you don’t mind, could you please DM me that article?

1 Like

Here is the original.

1 Like

I want to convert soon but need much more information. For those who are thinking about buying a new phone you should know this – New phones will have a front camera that is always on. Can you forward this to Jeff?

1 Like

Will do, thank you, @waynetb! :slight_smile:
Kind of makes me feel better that I kept myself out of the cell-phone hype forever. I guess I’m an old-school kind of guy who prefers a good keyboard. Hence the laptops! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

LOL I was actually thinking of ditching my smart phone and getting one of those flip phones that only get calls and text before I found you guys.

2 Likes

I am looking to replace my iphone and I was wondering the other day if there were any 4g flip phones :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. I didn’t see much

1 Like

Im like you when it comes to phones. I really need detailed instructions before I go ahead with it. I cant wait to get rid of this bloatware on this phone.

1 Like