Linux Mint login loop

The easiest way is to open up you file manager and go to “Additional locations.” Or you can open up Gnome Disks and mount all drives. Then, you can run the sudo updatedb and use the locate command again to see if your folder was “stuck” elsewhere.

Thank you Vasileios. i had to step away last night and will come back later today to it.

1 Like

Good afternoon Vasileios (morning for you I suppose). Just want to tie this off and let you know what ended up happening. I tried numerous other options and some several times, but couldn’t get the original \Home back. So, i ended up using a recovery tool (many actually) to retrieve the important things. Finally had success getting emails and the few other files I had on \Home. It was painfully time-consuming as I had to filter through all the mud to get the good stuff.

SO, Lesson for all those out there experimenting with other distros (or multi-boot), backup, backup, and then backup some more. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the time and assistance you provided Mr. Vasilieos.

BTW, awesome job on the Nextcloud lesson.

1 Like

Hey @ole6015!
I find it interesting that your /home folder disappeared. The only time this happens is when you mount a different drive or folder in that location. However, when you remove that mount, the original folder returns.

Also, thank you for your kind words on the NextCloud! I performed 6 installs on it before doing it live on camera - since I wanted it to work perfectly. Playing with personal and private files is a delicate business and I don’t want anyone losing a single bit. :slight_smile:

1 Like