Linux mint instal freezes

I am trying to install Linux Mint on a 6 year old Think Pad laptop I picked up recently, I used Rufus and Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon. The installation occurred on the usb drive and was able to connect to the internet. I hit the Install Linux Mint icon to proceed. Connected to internet, installs mutimedia drivers, the at install window erase and install chosen.
Following message regarding resuming partitioning this attempt to mount a file system with vfat in SCSI2 (0,0,0), partition #1 (sda) at /boot/efi failed. you may resume patitioning from the partitioning menu.

Freezes here cursor moves but does not execute either go back or continue options cannot close the window with the circled x either

Thanks for your help

Exactly which ThinkPad is that?

Is efi enabled in the bios for that ThinkPad? I haven’t really got into the efi but we can still search around for some info

Think Pad 460s 14" I5-6300U 8GB ram 256 GB SSD

Will it be easier tio get a new SSD?

I’d do a legacy install, I have a T460U? Approx same specs. That’s what i did with mine.

Good day. I am just in the process of looking into taking my 3 year old Lenovo X1 Yoga laptop and putting Linux Mint on it. Is anyone aware of any issues the Lenovo laptops poses to moving it to Linux in general? Appreciate the insight.

I am new to Linux also. once you get to the bootable USB, if it installs no problem. I had to go to the startup (enter then F1) area and change the boot to Legacy for Linux Mint to install. took me a while to get the suggestions implemented correctly.

To compete a legacy install you’d need to access the bios and disable secure boot, apply changes, reboot and attempt the install again.

Thanks very much. Much appreciated and all the best in 2023!

1 Like