Introduction to Web 3.0

Introduction to Web 3.0

I came across the article immediately below today and thought that it would be a nice starting place for an introductory post about Web 3.0. I’ve included some quotes from the article below it linked url. It’s an easy article to begin your understanding of this sweeping addition to the internet.

Web 3.0 and the dawn of the metaverse
https://www.namecheap.com/blog/web-3-0-metaverse/

The Internet is about to enter its third phase, and the earlier people understand this, especially creators and businesses trying to make money, the more successful you’re likely to be.

Web 3.0 will give you digital property rights in a secure marketplace. So instead of renting websites and social media pages from big tech companies, you can own assets on blockchain networks like Ethereum or Solana.

Web 3.0, simply explained

Before explaining Web 3.0, we need to understand how the Internet has evolved since the 1990s.

Web 1.0: read
Web 2.0: read / write / share
Web 3.0: read / write / own

Below is a domain host for Web 3.0 domain name purchases that was mentioned in LMS class 036 of February 12th, 2022.

UnstoppableDomains.com

Here are some additional example videos about this topic.

Except for the first one, which shows some of the planning for Web 3.0, they are simple, generalized introductions to this topic. They aren’t necessarily the definitive discussions. They are simply ones I came across in a recent search.

What Exactly is Web3? by Juan Benet at Web3 Summit 2018 (Planning for Web 3.0)
This video was included in the LMS class 036 - Workshop 19 - Web 3.0 and Blockchain on February 12th, 2022.)

What is Web 3.0? (Explained with Animations)

what is web3?

The INSANE future of Web 3.0 Simply Explained

Web 2.0 vs. Web 3.0: What’s the Difference?

Here’s another discussion of Web 3.0, with a comparison of this new technology, compared with Web 2.0.

To put things into better perspective, Web 1.0 gave us the wide dissemination of information over the World Wide Web–the Internet. But it was a static medium: we could only get content from providers by visiting their websites. There was no way to interact with the site or other site visitors.

Then came Web 2.0, the world of Smartphones and interactive social media apps and websites. Now we could interact with others as well as just consume information.

Web 3.0 opens up new vistas for us. It actually changes the infrastructure of the Internet by decentralizing it. Based on the blockchain concept, the Internet now becomes a decentralized network with no central authority. It’s a peer-to-peer network, run by many separate entities and servers.

Check out this article for more information about how Web 3.0 is likely to work.

Feel free to continue the conversation about this important development in internet technology.

4 Likes

This is a great assembly of information. Thank you so much @Blueghost05!

I have been “orbiting” Web 3.0 the past few weeks, but time hasn’t been an ally to get me to focus more into it. Hopefully, this will change and I can focus on building solutions on that protocol and share them with you, guys. :slight_smile:

1 Like