Installing Zorin (RST problem)

I was going to install Zorin on my HP Envy laptop. Booted from the Zorin thumb drive. Half way through the install stopped and notified me that it could not proceed and directed me to Ubuntu documentation because this machine uses Intel RST. Im going through the documentation now. No idea why they would be using RST on a laptop but I could not proceed. Has anyone run into this problem?

1 Like

Wow! Microsoft and HP do NOT want me to install another platform on here. Still working on it.

2 Likes

@waynetb

Yes I’ve got running interference from hp and windows.
This is a nightmare, I set up the vpn with vasileios and one day later it I checked my IP address and even though the vpn and firewall ‘look turned on’ my ip is original. I didn’t touch a thing…

The bash wont install, the grub is out, I cant get anything to work.
Windows is fargin evil, stressed out by this process, it’s making me sick.

If you find any solutions, please post it here.

2 Likes

Yes! I spent all weekend and this evening working through this conundrum. I somehow managed to delete the windows partition LOL. Doesnt matter I dont want dual boot anyway. However this HP Envy laptop uses a type of raid controller that Linux refuses to install on. I have disabled secure boot, disabled Intel Software Guard Extensions, disabled TMP and cleared it. I’m going to call it a night and try again tomorrow. I’ll let you know if I make any progress.

1 Like

Its a process! I did those too. Your doing really well.

1 Like

Here is one of those times I tripped and fell into something and said “wow this is awesome!” Was randomly trying Linux distros to see if they would install on this HP Envy with a RST controller. I was through my 6th one (with many tries multiple BIOS configurations) and DING DING DING!!! Lumbutu 20.01 installed first time without hesitation. Detected all hardware and internet and BAM I was up and running. I later found out Lumbutu doesnt care what your BIOS configuration is. This is lightning fast compared to Umbutu but that is because its not a heavyweight. So far it has done everything I have asked of it. Highly recommended! *****. (thats 5 stars)

I removed the hard drive and replaced it with an ssd. While doing so found the small ssd drive that is on a board and attached to the data drive and removed it. Updated the firmware and it works.

1 Like

WOW! HP Envy? Is that what was causing my problems?