Installing Think or Swim trading software on Ubuntu

I found an instruction on line to install TD Ameritrade’s Think or Swim software, it worked well except…

While running thru the installation process, it asked if I wanted to create a desktop shortcut and I selected ‘Yes’. However, after closing the application, the desktop icon is nowhere to be found.

Any ideas to get the icon to remain on the desktop?

quick little diagram … hope it is what you are looking for …

1 Like

Thanks I.B. However, after running the TOS install, the desk-top icon does get stored there which is perplexing.

thinking that when installed and you clicked on add link to desktop it added it to the favorites
sidebar … which is as close to the desk top as you can get unless you customize it … which is do-able …usually you have to go through the steps above to get newly installed software into the sidebar … Mint Cinnamon is a distro that allows you to have icon links on the desk top right out of the box with out further customization …

Hi I.B. So far in my (limited) experience with Ubuntu, the ‘favorites’ would end up on the side bar which are under “Activities” which, is the side bar. When TOS was running after install, the desk-top icon did appear there. But, when I close TOS, the icon disappeared.

Hi I.B.,

Wanted to circle back and let you know I’ve finally figured out my issue with getting the desktop icon to appear.

I had to right-click on the thinkorswim_installer.sh file in its downloaded folder, open properties, and toggle the button at the bottom of the window for “Executable as Program” to the [on] position. Then, went to terminal and ran the command: sh thinkorswim_installer.sh It worked! See image.

1 Like

Yep … it is a journey … what you need to do the job, is there somewhere … but it got put in a different location than where you would have put it … congrats! and carry on muh fren … :+1:

Hi I.B.,

(also posted as a new question on the site)

Strange happenings! I installed Thinkorswim on Ubuntu 22.10. The process went great and the screens appeared upon installation. However, when I go back into the program from the installed desktop icon, I get a window-flash, the program does actually boot, but no screens appear on the desktop. An icon appears in the favorites bar as programs do when they are live. Then when I go to close the program, the log-off screen appears asking to confirm logging off.

I installed Thinkorswim on another computer (old laptop) after installing Ubuntu 22.04 and all works great. This was my test machine.

Thoughts?

just a thought … when this happens, try going up to the “Activities” button/area in the top left corner of your screen to see if the program is running on a different desktop …

I don’t use the extra desktops much and set them to just two … If I remember Ubuntu 22.04 and up come pre-configured with 4… also be sure to use TimeWarp and make a backup point in case an update causes glitches… best of luck!

Morning I.B.!

You are a genius; if you lived nearby I’d take you out for your favorite beverage.

So after reading your reply, I researched it and discovered how to switch desktops on 22.10. Turns out there is a gear icon in the lower right of the screen when logging in. When I clicked and opened, it shows I have (2), Ubuntu and Ubuntu on Xorg. My Think or Swim (Live trading) is showing up under Xorg whereas the Paper Trading version shows under Ubuntu.

My question: how do I eliminate Xorg or alternatively, leave it there and instruct Think or Swim to open under Ubuntu?

UPDATE [2023-03-31, 9:39am CT]

A very odd (to me) but nice occurence happened After toggling thru the Ubuntu 2 desktops in my installation, I went back and oped up Think or Swim in the Ubuntu desktop environment. My intent was going to follow some other solution I came acros to possibly drag windows from one desltop environment to another. However, to my surprise and delight, Think or Swim Live trading opened up under the Ubuntu desktop environment which before, it was not. I’m going ot going mess with anything until/if I need to.

Cheers! and Thanks again!

1 Like

That sure is strange … maybe there is some setting in the program it’s self … I was playing around with the Ubuntu 20.04 settings on my end … which to access I have to click the “show Applications” tic-tack-toe in the lowest far left corner …
2023-03-31_09-45
and then… go to the second page of installed applications … to find “Settings” …

scroll down to see the “Default Applications” which I have never bother to explore before …

and found that I could set "VLC media player as the main “default player” … after 2 years of “right clicking” to get it to open the video that I wanted to play …

So “Imma-Gonna-Say” … no genius here … just stumbling down the learning path … :grin: like every one else …

But I Thank You for “Muh Morning Atta-Boy” … make the coffee taste better …

2 Likes

Very Glad I came here today I.B. you are AWESOME! You posted this back in March… don’t know how I missed it?

1 Like

life is good … another Atta-Boy … from a 4 month old post … :sunglasses:

1 Like