Installing Fonts on Mint Mate?

I’m just getting started with Linux (finally) and I need help with something that seems like it should be so basic: installing fonts.

Backstory, I’m running Mint Mate on a 2012 Macbook Pro (completely wiped of all Mac stuff). I had to get my nephew to install it because I couldn’t get it to work.

Using it has been going great so far, but now I can’t figure out how to install some new fonts I’ve purchased that I’d like to use in both Libre and GIMP.

In trying to install them where instructed by online sources (usr/shared/fonts/…), I was told I didn’t have permission to do so. So I went and checked my permissions and I’m set up with “Custom” instead of Administrator permissions. Not sure if that’s just how it is, or if my nephew altered my permissions to keep me from screwing things up! Lol!

So, I tried changing my permissions to administrator, but then EVERYTHING stopped working for me. Internet wouldn’t connect, VPN, no programs would load, etc.

So I reverted back with TimeShift (thankfully I’d backed up yesterday!) and now things are working again. BUT, I still don’t have those fonts installed!

Is it perhaps that these fonts aren’t compatible with Linux? It doesn’t seem to be the case, because I can extract and view them as jpegs…

Can anyone help me figure out what I’m doing wrong, or what I need to do in order to get them to install so that I can use them?

Thank you!

What are the names of the fonts?

To download Microsoft fonts found this…

They are fonts I purchased from Creative Market called Castile and Lora.

Thanks! I’ll try this… wish me luck! I’m really struggling figuring out Linux!

Just realized that I didn’t hit the reply button properly—so thanks again for sharing this! I’m gonna try to get it to work!

Open your software manager and search for Font-manager.
That may help you.

1 Like

I will give that a try! Right now I’m struggling to figure out how to get my website builder working on Linux — that’s what I’m using these fonts for…

hope you got it to work! It works well once you get it installed.

I did! Thank you! I’m slowly figuring things out. Next step is figuring out a second browser/search engine. Brave is my go to. Can’t get others to work (except Firefox which I dislike because it’s Big Tech!)

1 Like

Open your software manager and search for Falkon. It’s quite a good lightweight browser. Give it a try and see what you think.
You can find information about it here

the only browser I have found that closely matches my love for Brave is the LibreWolf which is a FOSS fork of Fiefox. My only frustration with it is a small (not maximized) window opens and THEN i have to go full screen, very minor but annoying enough I have setup hotkeys for maximize, but it allows private browsing like Brave

1 Like

I really like Falkon as well. Great for quick searches and out.

Opera is very nice, especially if you do research and want to save full web pages as a single image. One click snapshot built-in!

De-Googled Chromium is lean, mean and works with banks and institutions…

Libre-Wolf is also on my desktop.

If you can’t find the app you want in your Mint repository, there is probably an APPIMAGE for it. Search the browser name and it’s bound to turn up or look here or gitHub listing.

AppImages are great for trying apps out as they are standalone packages that don’t install into your file system.

I use each for different tasks/sites with unique settings. I never keep cookies beyond the current session for example.

Linux is awesome!

Enjoy the journey.

2 Likes

I’ve been on Linux for a decade.
Been using Brave since it was released.
I only keep cookies for trusted sites. I have my settings set up to bin all other cookies when I close Brave. I also run a No History plugin.
I’ve got quite a few of my friends of windows and onto Linux.
After a couple of months of them using Linux i always ask them what operating system is the best. They all agree that Linux is far superior to Windows.

2 Likes

Try the Floorp browser. It’s a fork of Firefox without the telemetry and tracking. It’s being developed in Japan.