Installation Headache, can't boot to USB

I have what is turning into a very nice system set up with Mint. Now I want to do the same thing with an older computer we have. It’s an HP, and it’s sole use has been to provide expanded Internet capability to a TV, mostly for YouTube, Rumble and other videos. My problem is that when I try to boot it to the USB, the BIOS flips past so quickly I can’t stop it booting to Windows. It flashes a message about pressing any key, but I can’t make that work. Suggestions?

1 Like

The key here is speed. Turn off your system, then keep tapping the BIOS shortcut key as you turn it on so that you force it to enter BIOS. Survival of the fastest! :blush:

1 Like

If you’re unable to make out what the correct key is, you can look up the key online by searching for the Make and Model number.

Once you find out what that is, right after you press the power button just start mashing the key. Alternatively, you can also try just holding the key down.

1 Like

Thank you, SBHX. It took a little sleuthing to figure out make and model number, but once I did, I was finally able to boot to the USB. The on-screen instructions (as they flashed by) said press any key, but when I looked it up, it actually required F10. Now Mint is installed and looking good!

3 Likes

Awesome! Enjoy your freedom! :relaxed:

1 Like