Huge syslog.1

Hello,
My ubuntu computer is telling me I have an issue, but I have NO idea how to fix this. Here is a screen shot. Thank you for any help you have.

That is enormous and highly unusual. syslog.1 refers to a rotated log and can be removed as in old information accomplished with sudo rm /var/log/syslog.1 in a terminal and providing su password… Seeing that your active syslog is already 43+GB I would suggest skimming through it for repeated errors to try to narrow down the issue.

1 Like

Thanks for the help. I found a few forums suggesting to do just that. What I actually decided on was to erase and install ubuntu on the main drive. Then I used the Backups app to restore my files. This not only fixed the main problem, it fixed permissions issues I was having, and three other problems. And all that being said I was able to run the restore for Backups for the first time and see that work first hand.

Thanks again though!

2 Likes

Excellent job.

Glad you were able to correct it and restore your backups too!

2 Likes

Wow! @Fire, this is the biggest log file I’ve seen!
I thought my Firewall log on my NextCloud was big. :smiley:
And yes, @MrDeplorableUSA is absolutely correct in his assessment. All logs that come out with the .1, .2, etc. - are the archived versions of the log files - so they can be safely deleted.