How to leave big tech?

Okay guys have a few questions about the move away from these guys but what do I do about my hotmail and all of my subscriptions for say my guitar lessons on youtube?
I have pop OS installed and a proton email but if I log on this laptop to say youtube with my gmail account is that just letting gmail back in? Same goes for my hotmail. Thanks in advance for your answers in advance.

@DougTheThugg - I have been following threads like this for a while and it seems that I have heard that if you run them in WINE or some other container containing windows that you would be alright. I am not really sure - what do you think @vasileios ?

For all of your Youtube needs, you can use one of the programs available in the software center.
I personally use FreeTube, and you can subscribe just as you would in Youtube.

1 Like

If you want to keep your hotmail address, you can set up email forwarding to a service of your choice, such as Protonmail, Fastmail, Startmail, etc. Otherwise migrate over to protonmail comletely, you may need to keep a big tech device (computer or a cell) with google junk on it if you need to confirm login stuff for say, Youtube, to keep it away from your main personal computer.

But now is an excellent time to attempt transition to places like Rumble (the most robust IMO now), Odysee, BitChute, NewPipe, FreeTube, etc. Youtube still has orders of magnitude more eyeballs and traffic, however let’s help change that over to these other platforms!

You could also try using a virtual machine (VM) to help isolate any youtube/google stuff, better than running it on the host computer, but it will slow things down unless you have at least 16gb of RAM or so. 8gb can get you by, but I find it a tad too slow, 16 is decent.

You can import your Gmail emails into Proton using the import/export assistant. As for youtube, you could use brave browser (the only browser I know that does this) and set it to delete your cookies every time you exit the browser, and you can use ProtonVPN, which has a free plan included in your ProtonMail account.

Links:
Brave Browser (www.brave.com)
ProtonVPN (How to use ProtonVPN on Linux)

Changing the email address for services you already use can be a daunting process. What that requires is going through each of the service you’re subscribed and change the email to a new address.

The suggestions @BigDaveAZ, @scubarth, and @GrapheneGoat gave are really good.

Another option you can use, since the content you use is on YouTube, is the following:
Install a dedicated browser, which you will use for that service (or Hotmail, until you are fully able to replace it - should you choose to). For example, you can utilize Chromium (the app that Google “transformed” into Chrome) in a contained environment via FlatPak. To do this, you can open up a terminal and execute the following:

sudo apt install flatpak
sudo apt install gnome-software-plugin-flatpak
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

Restart your system for the FlatPak paths to become fully enabled. Then, open up a terminal and type in:

flatpak install flathub org.chromium.Chromium

Once it’s done, you should be able to run it normally from your app dashboard.

If you wish to run it via terminal, then the command is:

flatpak run org.chromium.Chromium

Once you run it, go to its extensions and install the following two:

Privacy Badger and uBlock Origin

Don’t worry if it takes you to the “Google Chrome Store”. Chromium can run these extensions without Google getting nosy.

This will give you a sandboxed (memory protected) browser to travel around Big-Tech stuff, without them being able to track you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks guys for all the suggestions I have been using brave browser for a while now. I did not know about the seleting cookies after my session so that helps alot. This will help lots of people with the transition.

Phillipans 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me.

1 Like